PDA

View Full Version : Norm's Router Station dust hood

Jason Dreyer
09-04-2012, 2:55 PM
Hey all - I'm currently working on building The Deluxe Router Station from Norm/New Yankee Workshop. All is going quite well - and having a ton of fun - but I'm missing the dust hood that goes on the back of the fence. Apparently, if you order the "hardware kit" for this project it comes with one, but since I had all of the t-track and the switch and various other stuff I needed already I skipped on buying the kit. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find one of these dust hoods for individual sale - it looks like a pretty specific item. I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find anything really close. I guess it's kind of a goofy question but I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to find one of these? I'm thinking that I'm going to have to break down and try to create my own.

Jack Wilson50
09-04-2012, 4:22 PM
Do you have a picture of it? I looked on the New Yankee site; bit did not see anything about the kit.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2012, 4:56 PM
Jason, I am in the process of getting everything together to build that same router table.

I just ordered all the hardware recently.

Here's what I ordered: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020106/19444/dust-extraction-fitting-fence-adapter-212.aspx

Jerry Thompson
09-04-2012, 5:22 PM
Jason;
I have a chop saw dust hood that I do not use. I have no idea if it would serve your needs but if you pay the postage I will send it to you. I live in the Jacksonville, FL (Orange Park.) PM me if you want to give it a try.

Jason Dreyer
09-04-2012, 7:23 PM
Well, the only picture of it that really exists is in the measured drawing. Like I said, it looks like a pretty specialized piece. It's a bit like what Ken linked, but it's a little flatter and longer and triangular.

Thanks for the offer, Jerry, but I'm not sure a chopsaw hood would work for this application. If nothing else, I'll cobble together something, or order one of the same thing that Ken linked, it looks like something that could be made to work.

Thanks, everyone!

Jack Wilson50
09-04-2012, 7:48 PM
Jason,

Since you are building Norms Router Table, you might want to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKBVjrC_rRw

Bruce Wrenn
09-04-2012, 8:32 PM
Rockler sells a dust hood for router tables.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Jason,

The original kit at Rockler was supposed to contain the correct. The kits are available but I wanted to make some changes to the fence and the table top using T-track, so it didn't make sense to buy the kit. Rockler didn't show anything I could find in their inventory that was similar. I search a lot of sites..............Peachtree, Woodcraft, Rockler, Highland hardware and others.

I bought the one I linked to and measured it when it arrived. It appears it will work without any modifications to the original design of the mounting blocks on the back of the fence.

Jason Dreyer
09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Jason,

Since you are building Norms Router Table, you might want to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKBVjrC_rRw

Thanks for the tip, Jack. This has some interesting ideas. But, considering that my router table is almost done I wouldn't be able to implement any of this guy's ideas. I did make some modifications to the top, though. I used t-track for the fence adjust instead of through-slots (which just seemed goofy to me), and I used two pieces of 3/4 MDF instead of 1 piece of 3/4" MDF and 1 piece of 1/2" MDF. Mainly because that's what I had and didn't feel like buying an extra sheet of 1/2, but I think it'll add some strength and maybe help prevent warping (it certainly makes it heavier!). I also changed the small drawer configuration a little, replacing a one of the bit drawers with a regular drawer, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to mount my switch on the front in the blank area where there is no drawer, instead of on the side.

Jason,

The original kit at Rockler was supposed to contain the correct. The kits are available but I wanted to make some changes to the fence and the table top using T-track, so it didn't make sense to buy the kit. Rockler didn't show anything I could find in their inventory that was similar. I search a lot of sites..............Peachtree, Woodcraft, Rockler, Highland hardware and others.

I bought the one I linked to and measured it when it arrived. It appears it will work without any modifications to the original design of the mounting blocks on the back of the fence.

Same here - I looked all over the place and couldn't find anything really similar. But, that's great info Ken, and just what I was getting after. I guess I will go ahead and order one of the same then. Thanks a million!

Larry Browning
09-05-2012, 2:07 PM
Check ou this guy's version of Norm's plan.
http://www.crestonwood.com/router.php

I think he made his own version of the fence dust port. I incorporated several of his mods to mine. I would definitely consider making the lower dust port 4". It works great! I would also use t-track for mounting the fence to the table. If you cut the through slots in the top, it will allow saw dust into the top drawer and also the electricals box.

Bruce Wrenn
09-06-2012, 9:55 PM
As much as everyone credits Norm for this table, he borrowed original ideas from the American Woodworker shop, when Rodale still owned the magazine.