PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Color Fill

Todd Koopman
09-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm still fairly new at this, Lasering about 6 months now and trying all kinds of things. I have built my own Filtration box, works pretty good, get some smell yet, but am happy with it.
The question.... Am working on a project with 4" ceramic tiles. Lasering in a logo and lettering and then color filling them. Rub the color in with a Q-tip, then wipe it off. If I wipe it off to soon, the it wipes out some of the color fill, if I wait till it drys, then it's hard to wipe off. Am now waiting for it to dry then clean it off with a Scouring pad, but have had some fill rub out of the logo's.
Have read in the pass blogs where some one had mentioned about "Buffing" the tile........

I have also put a Tile Sealer over the finish products, both color fill and CerMark projects. Figure this will put on a nice seal.

Am open to suggestions.........have seen a lot of Trial & Error in this forum, time to ask the Professionals !

Todd

Martin Boekers
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
First you can use a masking material and laser through it then fill. Some here have had success with spray paint.
What are you using to fill? I use Novus Fine Acrylic Polish on smooth hi-gloss wood, should work on tiles too.
LaserBits has some videos on You Tube that goes through fill processes, you may want to check them out.

Oh....and welcome to the SMC & use the search engine here as very few things have not been addressed here
before.

Todd Koopman
09-04-2012, 2:55 PM
First you can use a masking material and laser through it then fill. Some here have had success with spray paint.
What are you using to fill? I use Novus Fine Acrylic Polish on smooth hi-gloss wood, should work on tiles too.
LaserBits has some videos on You Tube that goes through fill processes, you may want to check them out.

Oh....and welcome to the SMC & use the search engine here as very few things have not been addressed here
before.

Thanks Martin. I haven't tryed masking it yet, but will give it a try. I have a roll of Paper Mask.

I have been slowing up the speed, thinking it will burn the letters deeper and maybe hold more fill. Even ran it thru twice. I am using Laserbits Color fill. I will check out some Your Tubes and see what else I can learn. I have been making a few key fobs out of clear plexiglass and then using color fill with about the same luck, but using the scouring pad it scraches the shiny finish.

Thanks - Todd K

Epilog - mini 24 35 W - Coral Draw 4

Todd Koopman
09-04-2012, 4:20 PM
Martin,
Attached is the Before and After.......... using the Paper Mask and Color Fill. Much brighter and even easier.

I have used the Paper Mask before on White Acrylic when Vectoring. Have had problems with the smoke staining the Acrylic and have even had the paper start on fire a few time. Pratice makes perfect...... no loose edges !

Thanks.......... Todd K

Joe Pelonio
09-04-2012, 9:26 PM
I normally engrave through transfer tape and leave it as a mask, then use spray paint, but you could also wax the tile with clear shoe polish, engrave, paint and let dry. The paint will come right off the waxed area.

walter hofmann
09-05-2012, 5:16 AM
Hi joe
thats a good idea never thought of this and will try it. the probleme with the paper mask on my tiles ( made initaly) is that the engraving get a deep color from the paper and it is tough to color fill them with this.
greetings
walt

James E Graham
09-09-2012, 6:34 PM
I have been using white tile, painting it a solid color, then engraving off the color, leaves white letters/logo. I then spray paint with clear to seal.