PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice the new LV stuff?

James Taglienti
09-04-2012, 8:28 AM
The new steel is for sale, very exciting, cutters for just about everything and the chisels are out too. I have been wooed by the promises of 20-25* bevels and had to buy some ........they also have a giant fenced low angle rabbet plane. Looks handy for trimming the tenons on your recreation ironclad?

David Weaver
09-04-2012, 9:44 AM
You're, of course, obligated to report back on the quality of the chisels now that you've admitted to buying them.

I'd love to just buy the whole set, but I'm trying to play the part of responsible decision maker at this point.

Bruce Mack
09-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for flagging the appearance of the plane irons. I just ordered a PM-V11 for my Veritas block plane. My favorite block plane is the adjustable mouth Lie Nielsen, but the Veritas block has been getting more use trimming plywood and other hostile material in my construction of feral cat shelters. I'm hoping to get better edge retention.

Kent A Bathurst
09-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Slightly off-target.........Describing the pretty doggone cool jack rabbet plane, they say "........... it is suitable for very large rabbets and fielded or bevelled panels"

My question is this: how would one use it, or any other plane such as the LN skew block w/fence, for a bevelled panel? Specifically, I don't see how the fence comes into play, nor how [if at all] it helps with a consistent, aligned, bevelled edge? OR - is the bevelled edge simply a question of scoring the targets and coloring within the lines?

Educate me, please. I am not "getting it".

Thanks

Kent

Trevor Walsh
09-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Applying a wooden fence with the bevel built in would allow you to put a bevel on a fielded/flat panel. In most cases I think regestering part of the fence on the workbench edge would be necessary.

John A. Callaway
09-04-2012, 1:34 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=59999&cat=1,41182,41192&ap=1

if you scroll down on the link above you will see a picture of a fence with a bevel block on it....

Matthew N. Masail
09-04-2012, 1:51 PM
ooo mama that is hot !

I wonder how the PM-V11 chisels compare to the YXR-7 Japanese ones.... anyone care to do the testing? sound like a job for Derek - where are ya mate? :cool:

BTW I'm the owner of Koyomaichi white steel chisels, hold an edge damn well... but I havn't used them much yet.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-04-2012, 2:19 PM
I was hoping that they would release a 1/8" chisel with the bunch, but they did not.

If you had a set of these chisels (see http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=69847&cat=51&ap=1), what would you get for the 1/8" chisel to compliment it?

Note that I do own the Veritas Detail chisels, love them (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=46035&cat=1,41504).

Lie Nielsen sells on (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1234)

Stanley makes one (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67689&cat=1,41504)

Even blue spruce makes one (http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DT.125)

Trevor Walsh
09-04-2012, 2:51 PM
Andrew, handle shape is way different, but I'd go for the LN 1/8 mortise chisel, I really like the long cross section in the 1/8" chisels. Like the old sash mortising chisels.

James Taglienti
09-04-2012, 3:48 PM
You're, of course, obligated to report back on the quality of the chisels now that you've admitted to buying them.

I'd love to just buy the whole set, but I'm trying to play the part of responsible decision maker at this point.

Oops .. I meant I bought a plane cutter sorry to mislead. The chisels are very tempting ... I hope to do some chiseling tests with the plane cutter and that will help me decide on a chisel purchase.... I am a sucker for acute bevels on chisels, the finer the better, best I have found so far is Berg (not that i have scoured) but if this new stuff is better, its going to be a sad day in my shop.

Matthew N. Masail
09-04-2012, 3:58 PM
Oops .. I meant I bought a plane cutter sorry to mislead. The chisels are very tempting ... I hope to do some chiseling tests with the plane cutter and that will help me decide on a chisel purchase.... I am a sucker for acute bevels on chisels, the finer the better, best I have found so far is Berg (not that i have scoured) but if this new stuff is better, its going to be a sad day in my shop.

Just playing devils advocate - why sad? there may always be something better, but you have some great tools! which work, and work well! much more than our ancestors had when they made some things most of us only dream about....

Now the other side.... I wonder how the HSS, especially the YXR-7 hold up with a 20 degrees bevel.... :o (it's fun... if nothing more )

James Bird
09-04-2012, 4:10 PM
Lie Nielsen doesn't make an 1/8 mortise chisel... they make an 1/8 bench chisel only. not sure if thats what you meant to say...

Andrew Pitonyak
09-04-2012, 4:50 PM
I was kind of leaning that way because I can pare with it and whack it some. The Lie Nielsen paring chisels are for sure no whacking allowed. OK, I don't expect to be whacking a 1/8" chisel much regardless, but I wanted something a bit sturdier. Figured I could get some (or the entire set) of the new Lee Valley, but they are missing the 1/8". Would prefer consistency, but it is not critical.

Matthew N. Masail
09-04-2012, 5:00 PM
I was kind of leaning that way because I can pare with it and whack it some. The Lie Nielsen paring chisels are for sure no whacking allowed. OK, I don't expect to be whacking a 1/8" chisel much regardless, but I wanted something a bit sturdier. Figured I could get some (or the entire set) of the new Lee Valley, but they are missing the 1/8". Would prefer consistency, but it is not critical.

I also think a 1/8 would complete the set... it's a shame, but hey, Rob sees this maybe they will decide to add it, if enough people feel that it matters to them.
Regardless of matching - the regular Japanese 1/8bench chisels are kinda like mortise chisels. I bought an extra simple 1/8 one from Stu to grind down
to 2mm, I think it will be more sturdy than a western 1/16. and as Stu said - a good test chisel. you can but them at 1.5mm too.

Jack Curtis
09-04-2012, 5:10 PM
Matthew, there are a couple of potential problems making ultra small chisels: 1) the sturdiness of such a small shank and 2) sizing the edge. One solution incorporated by Japanese smiths is to twist damascus type mixes to increase the strength. Another would be slightly different shapes of slightly different steels. On sizing, just a warning, but it probably gets tedious answering the phone calls.

At any rate, it's probably not just a matter of deciding to complete a set.

george wilson
09-04-2012, 5:35 PM
I can't seem to find the LV PM plane blades. Can anyone provide a link please?

Andrew Pitonyak
09-04-2012, 5:49 PM
I can't seem to find the LV PM plane blades. Can anyone provide a link please?

They are on the same page as the planes:

https://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=69851&cat=51&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=47881&cat=1
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=45864&cat=1

A Google search using this will show some results:

site:www.leevalley.com/US pm-v11

Andrew Pitonyak
09-04-2012, 5:53 PM
Matthew, there are a couple of potential problems making ultra small chisels: 1) the sturdiness of such a small shank and 2) sizing the edge. One solution incorporated by Japanese smiths is to twist damascus type mixes to increase the strength. Another would be slightly different shapes of slightly different steels. On sizing, just a warning, but it probably gets tedious answering the phone calls.

The Veritas Detail chisel set contains a 1/8" and even a 1/16", these are great for getting into tight spots..... There are some cases, however, where I want something a bit sturdier at 1/8", and I don't own anything else that is smaller than 1/4".

george wilson
09-04-2012, 6:01 PM
Thanks,Andrew. The prices seem reasonable. Any of you ever priced powdered metal raw material? MSC used to sell it(for 1 catalog). I think they dropped it. Too expensive?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-04-2012, 6:38 PM
When I saw the Lie Nielsen chisels in person at one of their hand-tool shows, I was surprised at how thick/stout they were; much more so than any of my vintage bench chisels. I kind of like the slight flex and feel of my older chisels and the Ashely Iles. So I might not go super whacking at it, but I wouldn't be terrified of using their 1/8" bench chisel with a little "persuasion". Certainly an 1/8" chisel doesn't take much force to sink into most woods. LN does make a 1/10th inch mortise chisel, if you just want "smaller than the smallest LV chisel" and not a specific measurement.

I'm intrigued by the new PMV11 blades. I'm just wish I could make one work in my Lie Nielsen low angle jack! I might just have to try if the holes for the LN bevel-up planes are in the right spot for the cap screw to pass through. I wonder how many little grinder wheels I would go through trying to make slot for the depth adjuster?

Trevor Walsh
09-04-2012, 9:48 PM
James, well shucks, I'll amend that to the 3/16th or the 1/10th. I have the 1/10th for moulding plane making and I love it.

Bruce Haugen
09-04-2012, 10:26 PM
... I am a sucker for acute bevels on chisels, the finer the better, best I have found so far is Berg (not that i have scoured) but if this new stuff is better, its going to be a sad day in my shop.

If'n it gets to be a sad day in your shop, I'll help take those Bergs off your hands:D

Jack Curtis
09-04-2012, 11:38 PM
The Veritas Detail chisel set contains a 1/8" and even a 1/16", these are great for getting into tight spots..... There are some cases, however, where I want something a bit sturdier at 1/8", and I don't own anything else that is smaller than 1/4".

Yeah, those have always tempted me. I've got a fair number of 3mm, and a couple of 1.5-2mm, but in Japanese. I've never had any problems with them, and a couple of the 3mm are sized for mortising; but I'm kind of a finesse user of these sizes. One of the 2 mm I think was from LV, again, Japanese.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
When I saw the Lie Nielsen chisels in person at one of their hand-tool shows, I was surprised at how thick/stout they were; much more so than any of my vintage bench chisels. I kind of like the slight flex and feel of my older chisels and the Ashely Iles. So I might not go super whacking at it, but I wouldn't be terrified of using their 1/8" bench chisel with a little "persuasion". Certainly an 1/8" chisel doesn't take much force to sink into most woods. LN does make a 1/10th inch mortise chisel, if you just want "smaller than the smallest LV chisel" and not a specific measurement.

My primary thought at the moment is cutting waste out of dovetails. I don't expect to be whacking away with gusto, but I don't want to worry too much about it either. I considered just going for one of the new Stanley chisels, but I am leery after I was unable to get a response from customer service regarding a defective shoulder plane (people here told me how to repair it myself since Stanley was unresponsive).

Nice to know that Lie Nielsen has a bit of heft! :-)

Matthew N. Masail
09-05-2012, 3:38 AM

You are right this has nothing to do with completing a set. I don't see 2mm as ultra small? I'm doing it this way because I wanted a 2mm Japanese and you can only order them at 1.5. I don't see a problem doing this, but maybe I'll find myself mistaken,

Andrew Pitonyak
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah, those have always tempted me. I've got a fair number of 3mm, and a couple of 1.5-2mm, but in Japanese. I've never had any problems with them, and a couple of the 3mm are sized for mortising; but I'm kind of a finesse user of these sizes. One of the 2 mm I think was from LV, again, Japanese.

They are awesome for paring those tight super small dovetails. They have some that are very narrow (1/8 and 1/16) and then they also have very thin but wide, for when you need to pare down from the top through that small little cut in the top of a tail. I am afraid to man-handle them, but they work very well. I highly recommend them.

Derek Cohen
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
It is possible that I have the only LV 1/8" chisel :) ... and that is only because I ground down a 1/4" O1 pre-production blade.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/A2.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/A3.jpg

I placed an order for two of the anniversary marking gauges in stainless steel as soon as I saw them. They are slightly larger than the original wheel type, with considerably greater heft in the hand. The off-set hole for the shaft creates a wider registration area (as well as deeper). I find them easy to adjust with one hand. As with all hand tools, some will love the feel (I do), while others may not.

No doubt there will be many comparisons with the Tite Mark soon. I may do one as well.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/A5.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/LV%20Chisel%20Review/A6.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek