PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 75 question

Michael Arruda
09-04-2012, 4:03 AM
Hello,

I am a mostly tailed woodworker, but am slowly amassing an army of planes, saws, chisels, etc and learning how to use them. I came across a Stanley 75 ( I think) recently and I was hoping the more knowledgeable here would have some input.

There are no markings on the plane, except for a 188 on the top of the bottom portion and a 188 1/2 on the bottom of the top. It's in pretty good condition with about 100% of the paint/ japanning intact. My problem is, it came with no blade or lever cap, just the two portions of the body and the screw and washer to attach them together. Does anyone know where I might source these components?

Rabeting plane, check. (almost.) I already have a couple block planes, a #5, and a #3. I'd really like a #7 or #8 Jointer, but all in due time- my 12" Crescent will do the jointing tasks for now.

Thank you,
Michael

James Taglienti
09-04-2012, 7:13 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?189600-Stanley-Bull-Nose-Rabbett-plane

The bet place to find those parts is to just buy another 75.
Unfortunately the money is better spent on other tools. Even compared to the stanley #90, the Stanley 75 is a happy meal toy.

Jim Koepke
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm with James on this.

My 75 sits in its box unused. Who knows some day it may get used for removing paint or something. It makes a lousy can opener.

jtk

Michael Arruda
09-04-2012, 5:57 PM
Thank for the replies! I was hoping it would turn out to be a good plane. I want a rabet and a jointer for general tasks to go with the block, smoother and jack I have.

In researching this little guy I have, it seems to be kinda rare, or at least some other websites say so. Something about it being made by Stanley for Winchester- identified with the 180 and 180 1/2 markings. Is this true? Do you think there's any value to this? If I were to toss it on the 'bay, do you think I might have enough to put toward a 90 or some other rabet plane? If not, I'll probably clean up the body and toss it in the display cabinet as a nice little curio.

Thanks,
Michael

James Taglienti
09-04-2012, 6:35 PM
Thank for the replies! I was hoping it would turn out to be a good plane. I want a rabet and a jointer for general tasks to go with the block, smoother and jack I have.

In researching this little guy I have, it seems to be kinda rare, or at least some other websites say so. Something about it being made by Stanley for Winchester- identified with the 180 and 180 1/2 markings. Is this true? Do you think there's any value to this? If I were to toss it on the 'bay, do you think I might have enough to put toward a 90 or some other rabet plane? If not, I'll probably clean up the body and toss it in the display cabinet as a nice little curio.

Thanks,
Michael
Hi,

They were branded for Stanley and for just a few hardware firms including Winchester but the only designation is on the blade, im afraid. The bodies and other parts are identical. They bring between 5 and 20 dollars complete without the box.
Edit i just checked the auction site and it seems some are up around 30-40 bucks but most are much lower. Put it on your shelf its a cool looking little plane.

Michael Arruda
09-04-2012, 7:16 PM
See now, you miss something important- there's somewhere on the internet where a purported expert states its rarity. So, with some creative advertising, it could go for $100s on ebay. Don't forget, if it's on the internet, it must be true. :)

Oh, and did I mention it was owned by Krenov and was the first one off the production line? Before he owned it, Ford used it in the making of the first casting forms for the Model A, and before that it was used as a stop in the bulkhead door of the Titanic, allowing the steerage class to come up to the deck and survive. It was saved by the last man out before the ship sank, whom would go on to be the great, great grandfather of Leonardo DiCaprio. I could go on, but the story is so intriguing it starts to become absurd.

lol- just kidding, just kidding- She'll make a nice little display piece. I have a growing little glass front display full of socket chisels and measuring tools.

Thanks again for the insight-
Michael

James Taglienti
09-04-2012, 8:20 PM
Oh, and did I mention it was owned by Krenov and was the first one off the production line? Before he owned it, Ford used it in the making of the first casting forms for the Model A, and before that it was used as a stop in the bulkhead door of the Titanic, allowing the steerage class to come up to the deck and survive. It was saved by the last man out before the ship sank, whom would go on to be the great, great grandfather of Leonardo DiCaprio. I could go on, but the story is so intriguing it starts to become absurd.

Michael
Not another word ILL TAKE IT