PDA

View Full Version : string steady

Harvey M. Taylor
09-04-2012, 1:00 AM
Does anyone have a plan or drawing for a string steady? I have the fever to make some thin-stemmed goblets.May change my mind after the first one, though. I especially like the ones Rick Hutcheson makes, but dont know if he frequents here often enough to see this. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Max.

Rick Hutcheson
09-04-2012, 8:15 AM
Yes, I am here. I have the drawings for mine on my web page as PDF files. http://www.scrollsaws.com/WoodLathe/woodlatheString.htm

Joe Kieve
09-04-2012, 8:16 AM
Max...I don't have plans, etc. for a string steady but you might get some ideas from this youtube video I posted awhile back.

http://youtu.be/t4JdA9zdUeI

Joe

Jack Gaskins
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I too have been thinking of making a string steady BUT, I am worried that the string will leave marks on the spindle???

Rick Hutcheson
09-05-2012, 1:04 PM
I too have been thinking of making a string steady BUT, I am worried that the string will leave marks on the spindle???

The only time I left marks was when I used too much pressure on the strings. You need to think as you go that the strings are there just to keep the piece from vibrating and not to steady the piece so you can take more aggressive cuts. Light touch all the way when using string steadies. Used right I have not had a wood marking problem.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2012, 9:22 PM
Rick is right. The first time I used a string steady each piece was marked. I found as he said you can't put pressure on the piece.

Jack Gaskins
09-05-2012, 9:58 PM
Rick is right. The first time I used a string steady each piece was marked. I found as he said you can't put pressure on the piece.

What kind of string is better to use?

Rick Hutcheson
09-05-2012, 10:09 PM
For string I used the nylon cord that you find in the hardware department. Carpenters use it for string lines and chalk line I think.

Noah Barfield
09-06-2012, 2:43 PM
Hi Rick,

Thank you for posting your plans! What thickness of wood are you using to make your string steady? Is it plywood?

Noah

Robert Henrickson
09-06-2012, 4:08 PM
I made mine from 3/4" plywood scrap since that is what I had at hand. 1/2" might do for a string steady, or glue up two layers. Basically whatever you have ought to work -- remember that it is intended to reduce vibration, not allow you to do a heavier cut.

Rick Hutcheson
09-06-2012, 4:41 PM
I used 3/4" plywood.

Hi Rick,

Thank you for posting your plans! What thickness of wood are you using to make your string steady? Is it plywood?

Noah