PDA

View Full Version : The BLm that Did get carved

Kathy Marshall
09-04-2012, 12:48 AM
This is the other half of the Big Leaf Maple blank that I turned my last hf from.

Obviously I still have a lot to learn about carving. Once I had the outline for a few of the leaves carved, I realized I carved them backwards. Instead of carving into the leaves, I should have carved away from them, but I went ahead and did the rest the same. At that point it just became a practice piece and I went ahead and finished it up so I could get a feel for what I could get using different burrs. I left the leaves a little rough from the burr to give it a little texture and also I knew it would finish a little darker than the rest of the form.
It's 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" finished with just DO (I may or may not add a finish coat later).
Hopefully I've learned a little and this one will pale in comparison to the next one :D.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Rick Markham
09-04-2012, 2:49 AM
Kathy, this is a super neat piece. Even if your leaves are "backwards." I am willing to bet on the next one they won't be :D Well done and I like the contrast created by leaving the leaves a little rough, it makes them stand out, even if they are recessed. (Juxtaposition) :D

Michelle Rich
09-04-2012, 6:38 AM
thanks for sharing your learning experience..it educates us all. Keep it around and go back to it, as you have ideas..

Doug W Swanson
09-04-2012, 8:02 AM
Looks nice Kathy. I think the leaves look fine just the way they are....

John Kent
09-04-2012, 9:27 AM
Looks alright to me Kathy. That's what I love about you, you explain what you did and what you are thinking. It also lets us see your progress and how you grow as you try new things. Being an inexperienced turner like myself, I really appreciate you saying that it's okay to say that things don't always go the way you want. The learning curve is steep as you move ahead and we get to follow along with you. Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Looks great Kathy. Really a nice looking piece. Love the carving.

Tim Rinehart
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Nice work. Kinda make me chuckle about realizing you didn't relieve the carving...sounds like something we've all done at one time or another! Addictive work to carve...but sure can add huge multiples of time to a piece.

Alan Trout
09-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Kathy,

Are getting really good with your carving. That is a wonderful piece.

Alan

Kathy Marshall
09-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the too kind comments everyone ;).
Tim, I'm glad to have given you something to chuckle about!
Here's hoping that posting my little boo-boo might prevent someone else from making the same mistake!
John, just as I learn from others, I hope others might learn something from me. The sharing of information is what makes this such a great community!
Rick, the leaves are only backwards if you're looking at them from the outside :p.