PDA

View Full Version : It LIVES!!!

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2012, 8:12 PM
Today was a day of scant time due to other pressing needs. But I got a few minutes to try the lathe out.

Here's K.M's 12" carob blank all faceplated up...

...and mounted...

The beginnings of a bowl...

...and the "proof"...

1st impressions are that this will be an adequate machine for bowls up to twice this size. The Dynamotor is a bit strange and sounds like it's straining to start. But then it comes up to speed quite nicely and seems to have plenty of power. I was running it at around 800 RPM (A guess from the fact that the dial was cranked about 1/3 up and the motor's max speed is 2,400) so the spindle was at around 200 RPM. No vibration at that speed although I could get some by cranking up the RPM's. Once I had the blank more or less balanced, I speed it up a bit, probably to around 400 RPM spindle speed. Seemed fine. After I get some more wood hogged off, I'll crank it up some more...

Tim Rinehart
09-03-2012, 8:15 PM
Congrats on a proper christening. Look forward to the first finished piece!

Nate Davey
09-03-2012, 8:27 PM
Awesome David. Glad to hear the motor seems solid. Can't wait to see the magic to create with the new lathe!

James Roberts
09-03-2012, 8:43 PM
That's what I'm talking about! I like the look of the whole setup, your tool rest is particularly interesting and I wonder how rigid and solid it feels now that you have given it a trial run. Do you use a hollowing rig and, if so, how will you incorporate and adapt it for use with this lathe? Can't wait to see more updates.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2012, 9:01 PM
"...your tool rest is particularly interesting and I wonder how rigid and solid it feels ..."

Umm well... I'm going to just let thought go by and hope no one else is laughing...

To be perfectly honest, the tool rest is pretty solid but it would not hurt if it were more solid. My original thought was to make the post from a 2" solid steel billet and rig up a telescoping arm similar to the one on the VB36. Unfortunately, there is no where for the telescoping arm to recess and I did not have the dough for something like that anyway. But this rest will do the job for the time being.

One day I will build a stubby bed and a tailstock and probably a banjo/tool rest too. But that's in the future and all I want to do now is make some bowls!

Josh Bowman
09-03-2012, 9:05 PM
Look forward to seeing the first project.

Harry Robinette
09-03-2012, 9:29 PM
DD
That's great,so glad you got it turning. Can't wait to see some big stuff coming off the big guy.

John Beaver
09-03-2012, 9:32 PM
DD,
Nice job getting it all working. It looks great.

That blank looks a lot more like Mesquit then Carob to me, but what do I know.

JB

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2012, 9:39 PM
Looks like we're both wrong! The donor said it was acacia. But like you... what do I know? It's wood.

Kathy Marshall
09-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Yay!
Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl!

Mike Cruz
09-04-2012, 3:03 PM
Congrats, DD on getting her up and running. You've got me itching to finish mine up!

curtis rosche
09-04-2012, 3:35 PM
I have a prefect size oak log if you really wanna test it, just pay shipping:D