PDA

View Full Version : Completed Cherry Headboard

Jon Farley
04-13-2005, 8:36 AM
This is a project that I've been working on the last couple weeks. I just put the final coat of tung oil and it is ready to move into our bedroom. I designed it myself and it was my first experience making an arched-top raised panel. It was also my first experience working with cherry. Thanks for looking...Jon

Keith Hall
04-13-2005, 8:45 AM
Great looking headboard, Jon. I need to make one myself and this looks similiar to one the LOML wants. What did you use as a template for the arch? I've made arched panel doors before, but my templates won't stretch to that size. Love the cherry. Keith :)

Jeff Sudmeier
04-13-2005, 8:59 AM
Wow, that is one big raised panel!

It sure does look great.

John Renzetti
04-13-2005, 9:13 AM
Very nice job on the headboard.
How did you shape the arch.
take care,
John

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2005, 9:14 AM
Great looking headboard Jon!

Pete Harbin
04-13-2005, 9:20 AM
"My first arched top..."

"My first time working with cherry..."

You wouldn't know by looking at that headboard! Absolutely beautiful Jon!

Pete

Jon Farley
04-13-2005, 9:29 AM
I did not use a template for either the arched top rail or panel. I read up on using templates for arched panels, but it left me more confused than anything so I just did it my own way. I simply made my own patterns, cut them on the bandsaw slightly oversized, then sanded them down to the line with a drum sanded on the drill press. I then did the rail & stile and raised panel cutting on the router table. Obviously, the curved parts were done without the aid of the fence, and were the most nerve-wracking part of the whole project. I should note that I didn't make the pattern for the raised panel untile I had the rails and stiles dry-assembled, so I'd know I'd get a good fit. Hope this helps...Jon

Doug Shepard
04-13-2005, 9:31 AM
Bellissimo!!

Jim Becker
04-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Jon, that's really a great piece of work! (I'm a cherry lover...and your project reinforces that)

Mike Tempel
04-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Fantastic work. I like the looks of that Cherry but never seem to have the touch when I work it. Looks like you did a fine job.

Keith Christopher
04-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Wonderful work ! Looks like a heavy beast though. :) Having built a couple of arch'd top things I have found that the key to a successful arch is to maintain width throughout the entire arch. Whis is to say 6" width on the ends, 6" in the center. and as long as the curve flows and is appealing to the eye, it's alll good. I always try to not get too hung up on someone's formula for odd or difficult shapes, (sure there is geometircal)as much as we build function into furniture there is always form, and well often that piece is for the artist to render. again wonderful work. I

Jason Tuinstra
04-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Jon, real nice job with the headboard. But your first time with cherry? I think this headboard is going to need some company, so I'm sure this won't be the last time working with cherry.

Brad Schmid
04-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Very nice design and work Jon! Cherry is wonderful to work with and look at too. One of my favorites.
Brad

Lee Schierer
04-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Great looking piece. Cherry is a neat wood to work with. Looks like you found some nice pieces too.

John Miliunas
04-13-2005, 1:30 PM
Yup, Cherry strikes a cord with me, as well. Bet it may strike something in your back moving it around, too!:rolleyes: Very nicely done, Jon! You are a braver man than I tackling those huge curves and raised panels! Good job!:cool:

Dan Forman
04-13-2005, 2:32 PM
Great result, first time or not.

Dan

Ted Shrader
04-13-2005, 3:55 PM
Jon -

Came out great! A lot of firsts there, so it was a good project - You get a beautiful headboard and several new experiences.

Well Done,
Ted

Tyler Howell
04-13-2005, 4:36 PM
Great Work Jon.

Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Scott Loven
04-13-2005, 5:33 PM
Jon, it looks great! A few questions: How did you do the posts, and how did you join them to the head board? Also how will you attach it to the rest of the bed?
Scott

Jules Dominguez
04-13-2005, 6:23 PM
Beautiful wood and beautiful work, John.

A suggestion - when you take a picture of a reflective surface like the polished cherry using a flash, stand just outside the 90 degree projection of the edge of the reflective surface and shoot the picture from that angle. That will eliminate the reflection from the flash.

Chris Rosenberger
04-13-2005, 6:43 PM
That is a beautiful piece.

Corey Hallagan
04-13-2005, 8:06 PM
Nice work there Jon!! Beautiful head board!

Corey

Jon Farley
04-13-2005, 9:27 PM
Scott: The posts are made of two pieces of face-glued 6/4 cherrry. I originally attempted to make the posts out of four mitered pieces (to make the grain look more less continuous), but I could not achieve satisfactory results in getting the miters to close up tight during the glue-up process. The curved top rail and the bottom rail are both mortised into the posts, the two short perpindicular rails (stiles?) are not mortised into the posts. I originally was thinking of attaching metal side rails to this headboard (can be purchased at any furniture store), but because our new mattress and box spring are so darn thick, I am thinking of just letting them rest on the floor with the headboard standing freely behind them, with a couple inconspicuous brackets anchoring it to the wall.

Jon

Jerry Olexa
04-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Nice job, Jon!! The project and in cherry looks wonderful!!