PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

David Rust
09-03-2012, 3:56 PM
Hi All,

I am new to tforums and new to laser engraving. I am looking at purchasing a laser machine and working it part time with my wife. Our goal is to have it pay for itself over four years. We do not plan to do the trophey/plaque route, we are going to try designing product lines for wholesale to scrap book stores, stores that sell miniatures, and tourist locations. In addition we are going to try our hand at custom unique business cards.
I know this is a tough business area so I am trying it out now as a part time effort while I am employed full time.
I've been reading the forums and there's a ton of info here!!

Anyway, thought I would drop a greeting.

Thanks,
Dave

Joe Pelonio
09-03-2012, 6:33 PM
Welcome! Yes, there is many hours of reading you can do to learn a lot here, and get many ideas and even artwork files.
With what you plan to do, review the posts around the holidays for ornament ideas.

Tim Bateson
09-03-2012, 6:46 PM
I think in an early post, I too said I would never go the trophy route. Keep an open mind and be flexible, as this business can be in constant flux. One month it can be a lot of marble orders, another hundreds of trophies, another month it could be dog tags.

Unless you have contracts that keep you busy, stay open to any work that floats your way. I'm not fond of trophies, but when those orders are rolling in, it sure does pay the bills.

Dee Gallo
09-03-2012, 9:07 PM
Welcome to the Creek, David! You are doing it the best way, getting familiar with the machine and biz while you still have another income source. Spend as much time as you can reading posts here for information, instructions, inspiration and war stories. I found that even though you have a general direction you want to pursue, your market might just take a turn somewhere unexpected as you get into things.

Take a good look at your target customers too: monitor their buying habits, figure out what they really need, provide things they really want and invent something they didn't even know they needed but will kill to have. The more you know about their interests, the more you will be able to anticipate the market.

This is a great place full of smart and helpful people - visit often!

cheers, dee