PDA

View Full Version : Another winged lidded box

Kathy Marshall
09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I turned one of these from Bubinga a few weeks ago for our club's President's Challenge, but it found a new home before it made it to a meeting. So at our last meeting I picked up a piece of the walnut that was being handed out for the challenge, and this is how it turned out.

It's 7 3/4" x 2 3/4" x 3/4" (without the lid), finished with antique oil.
I turned the lid and knob from a little scrap of ash that was uncovered during my shop cleanup. I decided to try something a little different, so I dyed it black, then applied gold rub-n-buff being sure to rub it into the pores. Then lightly sanded back to remove the excess gold and uncover the black.
I like the look, but I'm not sure it's the best choice for the walnut.
I meant to take some pics of the process, but it wasn't until I was turning the bottom that I remembered.
I started between centers, then turned a tenon on the bottom, then reversed it in my chuck and turned the top and bowl.
The bowl has a recess to hold the lid and I used the recess to hold the piece while I turned the bottom. I turned from the outside in, working in small steps, with the rpms around 2000, stopping often to check thickness. This is what it looks like when it's spinning.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Keith Westfall
09-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Very nice!!

Eric Gourieux
09-03-2012, 1:24 AM
Well done, Kathy. Sounds crazy as it is spinning, huh? I like how the lid turned out, but I'm with you on the wood combo.

Eric Holmquist
09-03-2012, 5:04 AM
Nice looking box and finial, but I agree that the something about the lid does not work really well. I'm not sure if it is just the rub n buff, or if it would have looked better with a lighter lid. Perhaps it is the contrast between the figured walnut and the ring porous ash. Really hard to put my finger on what bothers me. The lid is not bad, it's just not as good as I know you can make it.

Michelle Rich
09-03-2012, 5:43 AM
looking through the vessel to the headstock(and beyond) is a real anxiety maker until one gets used to it. I've been turning my negative space designs and watched my dogs play in the yard. Kinda freaky!! Keep experimenting

Michael Armstrong
09-03-2012, 8:54 AM
Great job Kathy. Part of me likes the top and part of me says a greater contrast would be nice. The figure in the walnut is so fantastic that you wouldn't want to distract from it with the lid.

Michael

Marc Himes
09-03-2012, 9:05 AM
I like both the finial and the bowl but they don't seem quite as compatible with each other as I would wish. I really like the lid and the gold on black. That is a really neat look, but there is so much figure in the walnut something plain black may be better IMHO. But I really like that lid.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Really nice Kathy. Well done.

Mike Peace
09-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Nicely done and beautiful wood. I like the finial on the lid.

I am generally reluctant to comment on design since I have no art training and admittedly limited artistic ability. but since you asked here it is. And my opinion may be worth what you paid for it. As others have commented, I agree that greater contrast in wood would help. My preference would be for the base to be made from a larger piece of wood so you could get a continuous curve that rises and meets the lid. IMHO, I think more curve would be more pleasing to the eye than the curve on the foot rising so rapidly to end with so much flat area on the top of the box. I have made a few winged boxes and my design improved after I got similar advice on WOW from Terry Scott. I believe Terry is a master on winged boxes. My boxes started out with less curve but after getting advice to consider adding more of a catenary curve, I believe they are much improved. Good luck, and keep on turning.

James Roberts
09-03-2012, 9:09 PM
Love the walnut, beautiful grain on this one, but I have to say I'm not a fan of the gold on the black lid. It seems to pull the eye away from the natural figure of the walnut. Perhaps just plain black or maybe a lid made of holly for a sharp contrast? Still trying to decide if I like this particular finial for this box, can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't sit right with me. But then what do I know, I'm just a hack with a gouge and some sandpaper:o.

Kathy Marshall
09-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!
You've all pretty much confirmed my thoughts on the lid. I like the lid itself, just not with the walnut. I may have to turn another piece and dye it black to use the lid with.

Mike, I know just what you're talking about, but the challenge was to turn something from a piece of wood that measured about 8" x 3" x 1" (some were a little wider or shorter, but the thickness was about the same). I could have turned more curve in the top, but knowing all the hand sanding that was ahead of me, I took the easy way out.

Doug W Swanson
09-04-2012, 8:04 AM
Excellent job, Kathy! This is one of the things on my 'to-do' list. I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours!