PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly bandsaw tire coming off

Johannes Becker
09-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Hello,

I got a new bandsaw a little while ago (G513 X2) and have used it only for a few hours. Today it started vibrating and when I looked the top bandsaw tire had come off half way. It is actually loose enough that I can stretch it with my thumb. How tight are the tires normally? Anybody else got an experience like that?

I guess I need to call customer service but do you think I got the right tires on in the first place? I am a bit disappointed because it happens when I am in a middle of a project, of course.

Thanks,
Johannes

larry senen
09-02-2012, 11:24 PM
that does seem a little loose,when i installed urethane wheels on mine i used gorilla glue in spots to hold it in place.you might try some kind of adhesive. i used gorilla glue because it stuck to the urethane. i seem to recall that older band saws had wheels glued on with rubber cement. so i guess i wouldn't really call it defective if that's what you're worried about.

Cody Colston
09-02-2012, 11:29 PM
The tires should require heating in warm water before you can get them on the wheels and even then, it's a struggle. I think the tires are not right.

Mike Heidrick
09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I'd call it in for sure.

Johannes Becker
09-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the tip with the glue. I guess that could be a temporary fix to make the few cuts I need and then get it taken care of properly.

Keith Westfall
09-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Unless there is a possibility that they want the old tires back and don't like the glue on them... Probably should phone first :D

lowell holmes
09-03-2012, 8:44 AM
You can also nuke them in the microwave in lieu of hot water.

Matt Meiser
09-03-2012, 9:13 AM
I'd get some proper contact cement and glue them back on myself if you need to use it before they are open tomorrow. You've got pictures and I've found them to be reasonable.

glenn bradley
09-03-2012, 9:53 AM
This rings a bell(?). I believe a few machines escaped into the wild with improper tires. At any rate I have always gotten top-notch response from Grizzly for any issues. Give 'em a call.

Richard Coers
09-03-2012, 11:11 AM
This rings a bell(?). I believe a few machines escaped into the wild with improper tires. At any rate I have always gotten top-notch response from Grizzly for any issues. Give 'em a call.

You should run for political office Glenn with a rewording of poor quality control, into "a few machines escaped into the wild". Hey, maybe sell that phrase to Chrysler/Fiat, so when another Jeep catches fire, they can say one of those escaped into the wild. Jeep owners can buy that!

Tom Winship
09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
This is an appropriate thread. I have a G457 (14") and the lower tire just came off. I removed the top one also and it was easy to get off. My machine is about 3 years old. Probably will have to get some new ones.

Mark Levitski
09-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Same as Tim, same model. Otherwise, I like the saw a lot for the value. I got the orange (Olsen?) urethane replacement tires because I could not find the blue (Carter?) in the correct width. Have had them on for a couple years now with no problems at all. DO NOT GLUE--no need. Get some aftermarket ones, not Grizzly even if they give them to you for nothing.

Kevin Bourque
09-03-2012, 2:03 PM
In an emergency you can use rosin or something similar to hold them in place, but don't use glue for a temporary repair.

Rick Fisher
09-03-2012, 8:16 PM
Wow ..

I have a big ole 24" that I restored.. i could not keep the top tire on after the restoration was done.. One of the old timers here told me to spray the rim with Urethane based hair spray ( wife had some ) .. and try that .. It worked .. Been about 2-3 years .. no problem at all ..

Phil Landwer
09-04-2012, 4:56 PM
I have a minimax 24", and after a couple of hears of heavy resawing, my top tire will start to pop out of the groove.
I just buy a new tire from minimax, and I'm off and running. It's a real Beeeeaaaatch to get them on, they are so tight.

I'll try this hairspray trick next time, tho, as I've wanted to...but been reluctant to glue them on.
Anyone here glue their tires on? If yes...what kinda glue? And, what do you do, when a replacement is neccessary?

Mikail Khan
09-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I have had poor results with the grizzly original (yellow) and two sets of replacement tires (black) for my 514X. My problem was that the tires cracking. I purchased orange urathane tires from ebay and they appear to be much better quality. I have have had them on for about 8 months now. Replacements are also available through amazon I believe.

Other than the tire problems the saw is fine.

MK

Johannes Becker
09-19-2012, 2:01 PM
i had another great experience with Grizzly customer service -- I called and they send the replacement tires straight away. Yesterday I finally managed to get them mounted. They were much tighter than the ones that came off. Mounting them was quite a bit of work but the advice of warming them up a bit and then keeping sections of it on with some clamps worked in the end. Now that it is done, some of the vibration disappeared too. ...