PDA

View Full Version : Turned Nutcracker Plan Adjustments

Brad Simmons
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I plan to make my wife a nutcracker for Christmas. I found these (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9391254/nutcracker%20%281%29.pdf) plans online. However, instead of painting the piece, I want to turn the major parts out of different kinds of wood. So.. the hat one type, the head another, the torso another, etc. They turned theirs from one solid blank, but I would need to glue mine together... my question is: What would be the best way to glue up my blank? I think I know, but I wanted to hear from the experts. Thanks!

James Combs
09-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Your link is giving me a 404 error(can't find the page). However, just guessing at what you are making I would say socket and tenon each piece together then turn as one piece.

Robert Henrickson
09-03-2012, 7:32 AM
I also get the 404 error message. If you are gluing endgrain to endgrain, some sort of tenon would probably be a good idea. I've used 1/4" dowel in gluing up nutcrackers.

Brad Simmons
09-03-2012, 9:02 AM
Sorry folks. I fixed the link. It would be end grain to end grain.. so I thought of using tenons. I hadn't thought of dowels. Given my skill level, dowels may be a better option.

Robert Henrickson
09-03-2012, 1:43 PM
I've made a number of nutcrackers.

Are you intending to make the nutcracker with the slot for the cracking lever? Given that you are planning to use different woods for different parts of the figure, if you are going for the 'full cracker configuration', make the body separately from the head, cut the slot, then attach the head with dowels to strengthen the join. It's much easier to cut the slot for the lever without the head in place -- you can saw out the slot and finish it much more easily than having to cut a mortise through the body below the head. One set of instructions I have says to turn the head/body, cut off the head, cut the slot, and glue the head back.

After making several true nutcrackers, I've gone on primarily to make 'soldiers' rather than nutcrackers, omitting the cracking lever and its slot.

Robert Henrickson
09-03-2012, 2:12 PM
I still cannot get the plan to load -- it fails after about a third of the first page loads. That is enough, however, recognize it. Do not trust the dimensions noted on the photo -- they are not internally consistent. You are better off simply marking certain landmarks and then turning with reference to them. When I turn a nutcracker, I simply mark where I want the bottom of the hat, the shoulder, the belt, and the bottom of the coat. Everything else can be positioned in terms of these. And if you are using a number of different woods for various body parts, that information may already be embodied in the wood itself. Diameters are optional -- tightly cinched belt or not, extra-wide shoulders, narrow hips, whatever.

Brad Simmons
09-03-2012, 4:21 PM
I've made a number of nutcrackers.

Are you intending to make the nutcracker with the slot for the cracking lever? ....

After making several true nutcrackers, I've gone on primarily to make 'soldiers' rather than nutcrackers, omitting the cracking lever and its slot.

I'd planned on doing the actual lever. We'll see what time allows. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Brad Simmons
09-03-2012, 4:23 PM
Great points. Thanks.

Sorry having trouble with the link. Dropbox is usually very reliable and quick to use.