PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Gloat

Paul Williams
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
A friend lives near to a guy who brought home a bunch of black walnut including many trunk sections that were 3 to 4 feet across. After seeing it sit in his backyard for several weeks I asked my friend what the neighbor was going to do with it. He thought he was cutting it up to burn. So we talked to the neighbor. He gave me several sections of 6 to 10 inch branches, one large chunk and said I could come back for more. I figure I'll turn a bowl or something and take it and my trailer back for one or two of the large trunk sections.

Here is the stuff I brought home this trip, including my grandson holding the tape at just over two feet.

Unfortunatelly the tree was cut down in July and not protected in anyway so there was a lot of waste cut off the ends of each piece, but I did get four large bowl blanks from the large piece and lots of smaller blanks. This wood had more yellow and green streaks than I have seen in walnut.

And just for grins here is my helper practicing with the log loader. I forgot who posted the idea for this, but I loaded the large section by myself and it will come in handy when I go back for the bigger pieces.

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Great gloat. Gotta love walnut.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-03-2012, 8:42 AM
Paul,
Good deal on the wood but having your grandson interested enough to help you is the best. Mine is only 20 months but we walk to the shop whenever he is here. I can't wait.

Michael Armstrong
09-03-2012, 8:48 AM
Nice haul and it is always great to have a smiling helper!

Michael

Harry Robinette
09-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Paul
Try tapering the top 16" or so and you can roll the big one's onto the hauler. It helped me allot.

Paul Williams
09-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks Harry. Good idea. The thing really made loading the large chunk easy. I am looking forward to seeing how it works with one of hte really big chunks. What I brought home is all cut into blanks and sealed. I hope to start roughing things out this week.

Tim Rinehart
09-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice score. I like the looks of that loading plank...I can see it would save a lot of back work!

Prashun Patel
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Excellent idea on the log loader. I'm looking for ideas like this.

Paul Williams
09-04-2012, 1:00 PM
Like so many good ideas I learned it on sawmil creek. I can't remember who posted it first, but I am sure a quick search would find it.

Donny Lawson
09-04-2012, 9:16 PM
Very nice haul on the Walnut. It's always nice to find that stuff.