PDA

View Full Version : almond oil and other non drying oil

Bryan Schwerer
09-02-2012, 8:36 PM
I've heard camelia and jojoba oils recommended for lubrication and rust prevention rather than VOC's. These are non drying oils. Almond oil is also a non drying oil. I happened to be at a Homegoods store which sells overstock products and they had a few bottles of almond oil 16 OZ for $8.00. Camelia oil from a woodworking store is about $7 for 3 oz, although I have gotten it from Asian market stores for a much better price. Has anyone used almond oil? A Google search for rust prevention didn't bring up much, but I did find someone who used it on swords. They also had walnut oil, but that appears to be a drying oil, used in finishes.

Jim Koepke
09-02-2012, 9:37 PM
My opinion is that it doesn't need to be an expensive exotic oil to work.

I use a furniture oil that is a mix of oils and wax. I live in a pretty humid area and things seem to be doing fine.

jtk

James Taglienti
09-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Almond oil can go rancid and stink

george wilson
09-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Whee don need no steeenkin oilio.

Bryan Schwerer
09-03-2012, 6:44 AM
Almond oil can go rancid and stink
Good point I've used the same camellia oil for 2 years and it is yet to go rancid.

James Taglienti
09-03-2012, 12:34 PM
THe last thing id want is flies swarming to my stinking tools... I have a barn that I have stripped a lot of old furniture in. The combination of old shellac goop and denatured alcohol is irresistible to flies.. A couple days I became human fly paper with flies stuck to my arms and clothing - it was one of the most irritating work experiences i have ever had!

george wilson
09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
You could smear the goop on paper and hang it up for the flies to get stuck to!! Mix some hide glue with a good amount of glycerine so it stays tacky. That will work. Or,just use syrup on your paper.

A shallow dish of sugar water with black paper mixed in it will kill flies,and isn't poison laying around. Use a good amount of finely ground pepper.