PDA

View Full Version : Compact fluorescent bulbs for kitchen?

Phil Thien
09-02-2012, 8:01 PM
I have six cans in the kitchen that hold floods. They (the bulbs) sure don't last long, and are obviously somewhat expensive to operate.

I was thinking of replacing with compact fluorescent floods, but I've heard reports of the lower CRI making food look unappetizing.

So are there any compact fluorescent bulbs that would work well in a kitchen?

For that matter (not that I'm going to spend the money, but...) are there LED replacement bulbs that would work well in a kitchen?

TIA,
Phil

Bruce Volden
09-02-2012, 8:50 PM
Phil,

In my experience there is no such thing as a "good" CFL (compact fluorescent lamp). I hate the way they light (slow coming up to brightness), hate the color, hate the mandate for them, hate the disposal, hate being made overseas.....sorry for hating so much. LED's are getting close and I will go this route in the future--but we're not quite there yet.

What type can system are you using now---perhaps more adequate ventilation is all that is needed???

Bruce

Kevin W Johnson
09-02-2012, 9:32 PM
If its a ventilation issue, CFL's won't handle this very well either. The heat cooks the inverter circuitry that lights the tube and causes pre-mature failure. I'm certain the cheap materials used in it's construction is a contributing factor to being heat sensitive.

Gary Max
09-02-2012, 9:37 PM
but I've heard reports of the lower CRI making food look unappetizing------------ Humm new Diet plan ???????????

ray hampton
09-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Phil,

In my experience there is no such thing as a "good" CFL (compact fluorescent lamp). I hate the way they light (slow coming up to brightness), hate the color, hate the mandate for them, hate the disposal, hate being made overseas.....sorry for hating so much. LED's are getting close and I will go this route in the future--but we're not quite there yet.

What type can system are you using now---perhaps more adequate ventilation is all that is needed???

Bruce

I install a 3 unit track lighting [CFL ]and they come on as soon as I flip the switch, I hope that they work as least for 12 months

Phil Thien
09-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Phil,

Bruce

Bruce, I can't help but get the feeling you're holding back. Let us know how you REALLY feel about compact fluorescent bulbs.

David G Baker
09-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Every light in my home is a CFL. I have the 6500K bulbs and I love them. You have to do the research to find the type that come on full brightness when switched on. There are CFL bulbs that are made for different types of situations, again you need to do a little research to get the right type for your situation. I have four ceiling fans in my home that have four CFLs in each one, three of the fans run 24/7 on days when the temperature is high. I have had a couple of bulbs burn out but that is all. I have talked to folks that use the bulb in very cold environments and they have said that they do not last long in the cold. I love the bulbs and the white light that they give off.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2012, 12:36 AM
All CFLs are not created equal.

My wife bought some a few years ago that 1) don't come on to full brightness even when used indoors and 2) just aren't that bright. I wasn't a fan of CFLs. Recently, however, my youngest son in his home replaced most of the incandescent bulbs as they burned out with CFLs. The ones he used are bright and do come on instantly. About the same time our electric company sent a box of various value CFLs out to all their customers. I have replaced a bunch of incandescent bulbs with the electric company's CFLs and have been pleased with the results.

As they have become more available it appears to me the quality has improved too.

Brian Elfert
09-03-2012, 1:41 AM
Cans tend to burn out CFLs due to heat. I had a ceiling fan light fixture with small cans and I couldn't keep a CFL for over 6 months. I finally spent about $25 on a new light fixture for my ceiling fan and the CFLs no longer burn out. It will take a long time to recoup the costs based on energy savings, but I get more light out of the CFLs.

Curt Harms
09-03-2012, 8:55 AM
We've had CFLs in globe fixtures for probably 5+ years. We bought these before the cheapies appeared. I've read that CFLs don't like to be frequently cycled but we haven't replaced one yet. At least with CFLs there are recycling bins in the box stores. Try finding a way to recycle 4' tubes - around here it's store burned out tubes until the county has a hazmat collection day.

Walter Plummer
09-03-2012, 9:18 AM
We have two CFL's and now one LED in our kitchen can lights. Hate the CFL's. The light seems weak and yellow. The LED comes right on and the light is strong but on the colder white side. The LED also acts more like a spot than a flood. I think it was $34.00 at Costco. As the regular bulbs burn out I will be going LED.

Phil Thien
09-03-2012, 10:21 AM
We have two CFL's and now one LED in our kitchen can lights. Hate the CFL's. The light seems weak and yellow. The LED comes right on and the light is strong but on the colder white side. The LED also acts more like a spot than a flood. I think it was $34.00 at Costco. As the regular bulbs burn out I will be going LED.

So what kind of color temperature and maybe more importantly, what kind of CRI does one get from LED bulbs?

Anyone know?

What is the best CRI I can hope to get from compact fluorescent?

Chris Barnett
09-03-2012, 11:07 AM
The instant-on small CFLs are now available which should solve that concern. Regarding unappetizing food, well...could be the color temperature of the CFL or.....maybe something else. The CFL is available from a warm 3500K up to 5500K, bright white, which simulates daylight and has some blue if I remember correctly, on up to 6500K which is pure white and to me, fantastic for the shop task lighting or where ambience is not a concern...just great illumination.

Other than one application of a heat lamp and a bright flood in two baths or appliances like oven and fridge, we use only CFLs in the entire upstairs. Early models did not last long (had a few failures but very few) but we have not had a failure of newer bulbs in the last two years, whereas the filament incandescent bulbs would last about 3 months. We even use a yellow bug light outdoors.

The local big box stores had the bright CFLs maybe four years ago but not now, so to re-lamp the house upstairs I ordered several cases by wattage and color temperature off the web. The kitchen ceiling fixture load went from four 100 watt bulbs to three 13 watt CFLs (new fixture and still closed globe...no air flow)...that is progress. I measured the current that the entire CFL uses; the specified wattage on the CFL is accurate.

With the color temperatures and wattages available in CFLs, use of incandescent bulbs is just a matter that folks have not yet seen for themselves. Have tried LEDs...they are harsh, ugly, illuminate poorly and have terrible color temperatures....other than that, don't have an opinion on their use.

That's all I've got to say about that...probably too much....

David G Baker
09-03-2012, 1:26 PM
There are CFLs designed to be used in enclosed fixtures, they have a different model number than the standard CFL. Next time you go to a big box store try to find an employee that is knowledgeable in the lighting department, that is how I got my information.