PDA

View Full Version : Monster Lathe Photo Gallery

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2012, 3:00 PM
I copied most of the pics Mark posted during the build of the "monster" lathe along with the pics I took of the "end game" and put together an online photo gallery. If anyone is interested, the gallery is here:

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/lathe_gallery/index.html

Today I'm cleaning up my mess and getting some rest. Tomorrow is the "big day" when the lathe gets it's first workout.

Bob Bergstrom
09-02-2012, 3:53 PM
That was a fun trip. I enjoyed looking again at the fabrication of the Monster. Thanks for the pictorial and can't wait to see some of the pieces that it produces.

Baxter Smith
09-02-2012, 7:54 PM
Neat pictures! Thanks for putting them together!

Harry Robinette
09-02-2012, 8:19 PM
OK, enough with Oh how pretty and hard it was to build. Let's see some shavings. Really DD I did enjoy all the picture about this monster it's something that went through my mind before the LOML bought my Vega 2600 for me. I really want to see it with shavings flying.

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2012, 8:52 PM
Well I don't know, Harry... After all that work, I wouldn't want to get it all dirty...

I guess if I had a Vega bowl lathe, I would not have bothered...

Doug Herzberg
09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
That slideshow was a lot of fun and a bit of an inspiration. Thanks for compiling and sharing. Harry's right, though - time to get it dirty. You said yourself that you prefer using to tinkering with.

I haven't followed the threads as closely as I would have liked. I know you decided to go without the bed initially. Is it an option to add it back if you find you need a tailstock?

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Doug, a "stubby" style bed and tailstock are "on the drawing board" but it might be some time before they "manifest".

Brian Libby
09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Great photos. certainly a challenge that will be well worth the time invested.