PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 750s

Maurice Ungaro
09-02-2012, 2:59 PM
So, I am kind of interested in getting a set of socket chisels, and recently was presented with a $25 gift certificate to Highland Woodworking. Seems like an 8 chisel set with the leather roll would only cost me $174, plus shipping. Now, I know that that they are not LN, nor are they LV, but for the price, what do you all think?

Bob Warfield
09-02-2012, 5:36 PM
Maurice,
I bought one of the first full sets available in the St. Louis area about 2 years ago at a wood working show. The 2 largest had to be replaced by Stanley, I couldn't get them flattened. Granted I don't use them all day long, every day but I have been very happy with them. I also have an original set of 750's as well as a new LN 3/8" I bought for comparison. The new SweetHeart 750's hold an edge as well as any I own. I'm sure you can buy better but for a hobby wood worker why spend the money. I'm sure there will be others chime in telling you not to buy them because of where they are made but I can't help but wonder how many of them drive import cars.
Thanks...Bob

David Weaver
09-02-2012, 5:39 PM
It would seem that set is available on amazon for $160 with free shipping.

If I were in your shoes, I would use that certificate on something small at highland, or on something they have that other people don't have. They have all kinds of good stuff that's fairly unique, but unless you're a fan, their prices on "regular" commonly available goods are walk-in prices (as in good if you're walking in and you want to buy something only after you can see it in person).

Maurice Ungaro
09-02-2012, 6:44 PM
David,
thanks for the tip on Amazon's price! When I lived in the Atlanta area, I visited Highland often. Having said that, you're right about using the GC for something small and/or unique.

Ron Bontz
09-02-2012, 7:22 PM
I bought the Stanleys and found them to be a good value. I also have a couple of LN and they are better.

Adam Cruea
09-02-2012, 8:45 PM
You pay for what you get with the Stanleys and a little more.

They will need slightly flattened on the back, but hey. . .we're talking about a tool half as much as the LN version. They hold an edge quite well in my experience (I've hacked at hickory, oak, and soft pine with knots) and the only time they got dinged was when I either dropped them on my concrete floor or tried to use them to slice a knot in two on pine (I think the concrete was softer than that knot).

Overall, I was very happy with the 8 piece Stanley set I got, but I would actually tell you to get the smaller set. I have yet to touch the 1 1/4" chisel, and I rarely use the oddball sizes (3/8, 5/8, 1 1/4).

The only thing I don't like was that they came covered in lacquer.