PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser Tube Replacement. Tips?

James A. Wolfe
09-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Having just accepted the fact that my tube has expired, I've decided to spend the 2 grand for replacement tube, X,Y axis PM kits and new optics. Is there anything I should know before I get out the screwdriver and band-aids? A cursory inspection looks like this should be something I can handle as long as I don't open the back and find I need a moss covered three handled family credenza to get the tube out. Anyone done this repair on a similar machine?
Thanx,
Jim

Lee DeRaud
09-02-2012, 1:11 AM
Can't help you with the motion-system stuff, as mine has never needed it.

But replacing the tube in a Versalaser is about as complicated as changing a lightbulb.

Zvi Grinberg
09-02-2012, 4:46 PM
I can contribute from our experience.

If it is VersalLaser, replacing the tube is quite easy, however more complicated than changing a light bulb.

You need a full set of allen keys. Open the back lead, then open the 2 white screws that retains the tube to the back of the machine.
Then replace the tube, and put there 2 screws back.
Now be careful. These screws must be put back easily or otherwise the tube position is wrong or not exact. Do't use extra force there.

Regarding the PM for X and Y - It's not too complicated but I would recommend that people who are intimidated by tube replacement to stay away or ask for a handy friend's help.

Lee DeRaud
09-02-2012, 5:19 PM
If it is VersalLaser, replacing the tube is quite easy, however more complicated than changing a light bulb.<insert canonical lightbulb joke here>

James A. Wolfe
09-02-2012, 10:52 PM
How many <insert appropriate clergy reference here> does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but the light bulb really has to want to change . . .

Todd Schwartz
09-04-2012, 4:22 PM
Jim,

Tube is easy, just did my VL300 this summer. 15 min job. The rest gets a bit more complex, but if you go slow, save all of the screws and remember how it all goes back together it is not too bad. Took about 4 hours to completely tear apart, clean, replace and put back together. Ask Universal for the service manual for the items you are replacing. It will tell you exactly how to do it.

Todd

Chuck Stone
09-04-2012, 6:24 PM
How many <insert appropriate clergy reference here> does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one, but the light bulb really has to want to change . . .

Hey, don't leave us in the dark. some of us want to know if it was funny.
If you said Protestants, it would be funny.
If you said Catholics, it wouldn't be. :p

James A. Wolfe
09-04-2012, 8:19 PM
Thanks all. I thought it should be something I could handle but didn't want to get halfway through and find out I needed a metric widget.
Jim

Lee DeRaud
09-04-2012, 9:00 PM
Hey, don't leave us in the dark. some of us want to know if it was funny.
If you said Protestants, it would be funny.
If you said Catholics, it wouldn't be. :p<metahumor>
A priest, a minister, and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The bartender looks up and says, "What is this, a joke?"
</metahumor>

James A. Wolfe
09-04-2012, 9:21 PM
WAA...Waa...waa....

JOSE ROMERO
04-01-2015, 11:29 AM
I can contribute from our experience.

If it is VersalLaser, replacing the tube is quite easy, however more complicated than changing a light bulb.

You need a full set of allen keys. Open the back lead, then open the 2 white screws that retains the tube to the back of the machine.
Then replace the tube, and put there 2 screws back.
Now be careful. These screws must be put back easily or otherwise the tube position is wrong or not exact. Do't use extra force there.

Regarding the PM for X and Y - It's not too complicated but I would recommend that people who are intimidated by tube replacement to stay away or ask for a handy friend's help.

Where can I buy tube for replace it?

Tony Lenkic
04-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Jose where are you located,

You can go through local distributor or contact ULS for details on recharge exchange.
You may also consider Photovac in Ohio for recharge but it takes some time to get it back.

JOSE ROMERO
05-12-2015, 3:45 PM
Jose where are you located,

You can go through local distributor or contact ULS for details on recharge exchange.
You may also consider Photovac in Ohio for recharge but it takes some time to get it back.

I am in Venezuela, only looking a easy way to replace :)

Howard Garner
05-12-2015, 6:27 PM
If you need the VL200/300 service manual, drop me a PM.
About 3.12 mb is size zipped.

VL300 30W and VL350 30W