PDA

View Full Version : Colaboration with my Wife.

Marc Himes
09-01-2012, 9:43 PM
My wife is my biggest fan and is an budding artist in her own right. She has gone with me to J C Campbell and Arrowmont taking courses on oil painting and silk screening while I took wood turning. We had a blast and always enjoy and encourage each other in our art. She loves color and encourages me to experiment with different techniques. Well this time I supplied her with a different type of "canvas" for her own experiment. I green turned a hollow form to about 1/4" thickness and it cracked and moved enough that I was about to discard it. We had talked about doing a piece together and she wanted to practice so I gave it to her. It is about 9 X 5" finished with lacquer. I like what she did and look forward to doing more with her.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2012, 9:50 PM
That is a great looking piece. You both did well and I like what she did with it. Pretty nice for a practice piece.

Michelle Rich
09-02-2012, 7:31 AM
she made silk out of a sow's ear... I am on a color kick right now, so i like what she did with the practice piece

Jim Burr
09-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Talk us through what she did Marc...techniques, medium used and so on...she needs to get kudo's to because it looks really cool!

Marc Himes
09-02-2012, 2:30 PM
Jim, she used watered down acrylic paint on the entire piece, then used Gesso to attach tissue paper as texture and painted over it with other acrylics. Thanks for your comments Bernie and Michelle. I glued the cracks which, were quite prominent and she highlighted them with black and added more to make them look like branches. This doesn't show well in the photos, but it was quite effective.

ray hampton
09-02-2012, 6:36 PM
Is the color on the inside the natural color or not ? if the inside color match the outside then the big hole would not be so easy to see

Marc Himes
09-03-2012, 3:22 AM
Yes, Ray it is the natural color. Since this was her first attempt she just worked on the outside. I plan to color the inside to match the outside.

Jeremy Leasure
09-03-2012, 4:47 AM
I'm jealous of your collaboration. Nice work on both sides.