PDA

View Full Version : Just another 10" Dovetail saw

Ron Bontz
09-01-2012, 9:36 PM
Just looking to get some C&C on this little saw. 14ppi rip, approx. 0.003 of set per side, 0.020 canted plate. 2-1/8th toe and 2-1/4" heel. Polished back. I am not happy with the handle as it seems too small for my hand. Or perhaps it is the hang angle. I tend to want to put my pinky on the very bottom/underneath. Tried to get away from the usual boring rectangular plate as well. As mentioned before, I think a tool should beg you to pick it up and try it. So what do you think? http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0430.jpghttp://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0432.jpghttp://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x395/ronb19571/My%20Saws/IMG_0433.jpg

James Bird
09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Beautiful! In fact I think it is the best one I have seen that has been made by any of the members of this forum, besides wenzloff... well actually.... hmmm.... its pretty darn nice man. Here is why I think this... the handle.... everyone else who partakes in amateur saw-making has the tendency to make the handles all wrong looking... the thick of a grip and the number one thing they done do as perfectly as you did is the part where the handle connects to the saw plate, the place where the 2 saw-nuts are. Most makers tend to make this part too big or shaped weird... just not right. You, on the other handle.. made a BEAUTIFUL handle... and the saw plate... I love that too... this is a very very professional looking saw, when I clicked on the first pic, my first thought was....wow, he really did it... someone finally did it... made a saw that looks perfect... I am sure to you there are some things you may change and maybe if I saw it in person and held it it may need some refining, but still, it is pretty darn good my friend. Congrats, In my opinion it is the best Amateur made saw I have seen on this site and any other... Not to say the saws made by some of the big timers on here aren't amazing, yours just has that perfect handle. love it.

Rodney Walker
09-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Sweet looking saw. Looks like 100 mph just sitting there. I would suspect hang angle as being the reason for the handle issues. It looks far closer to parallel with the saw than most. I'm basing my opinion on observation of older saws. Excluding gent's saws, the hang angles on those would have been developed with comfort while working with them all day in mind and would represent a somewhat narrow range of angles.
My absolutely free and worth every bit of it opinion,
Rodney

Ron Bontz
09-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Well thank you. I am flattered. You may very well be right on the hang. When I hold it it makes me feel like I need to be closer over the work piece. I tend to stand back a bit being a novice, so perhaps the reach vs hang is the problem. I have fairly long fingers as well. I may try to relax the hang a bit and see. I am still playing with handle designs. This one was from Gramercy. I just changed the beak a bit, made it more round, by making it thicker and still giving it a full radius. H. Disston would probably roll over and mutter "blasphmey" if he saw what I have been doing to his classic handles. Just living and learning.