PDA

View Full Version : Monster Lathe Update... Done! (For Now…)

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2012, 6:27 PM
For the last bunch of weeks, I have spent all of the time I would normally have for turning trying to get this thing up and running. This is it. It's done. For now. I just need to make some knobs for the two locking levers on the tool rest arm. But first, I need to clean up the huge mess I made working on this! Then we will see how it likes that nice piece of carob.

The welder…. well, here is a sticky wicket. I don't want to seem ungrateful because he was happy to trade with me for the work. But my god… what a mess. I have very limited experience with welding but I'm sure my six year old niece could have done a cleaner job. It took hours and hours to clean up the welds and all of the metal splatter.

He also totally blew the layout for the brace so I had to add a riser block on the floor. But it's solid as a rock.

In all fairness, he was not the only one to "brain fart"! I ended up having to add another hinge point on the tool rest arm because the steel gussets prevented the rest from folding completely. So an "on the fly" redesign was needed.

So, for now, this is how it will be. I still plan to work up some sort of bed and tailstock and I want to get the spindle drilled out so I can use my vacuum chuck on it and I would also like to ream a morse taper into the end of it. But for now, I just want to get my space cleaned up and get back to some turning!

240341 240340

Dick Mahany
09-01-2012, 6:47 PM
Wow ! In spite of a few minor headaches, that machine turned out GREAT ! Looks like you could turn locomotive wheels with it. Can't wait to see it in use for those fine finials ! Have fun with it.

charlie knighton
09-01-2012, 7:32 PM
congratulations, looks like factory job, enjoy

Nate Davey
09-01-2012, 8:32 PM
Awesome job David. Was it a fun process or one you would avoid if given the option to do it again?

Marc Himes
09-01-2012, 8:41 PM
What a lot of work! I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labors and to hear how it works for you.

Russell Eaton
09-01-2012, 8:45 PM
Sweet! Now for the fun.....shavings! Be careful.

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2012, 8:49 PM
"Was it a fun process or one you would avoid if given the option to do it again?"

Great question! A few days ago I was feeling somewhat ambivalent about it and almost wishing I had not gotten involved with it. I feel the same way about my machines as I feel about my computers. I would much rather work "at" them than work "on" them. I have limited time for turning as it is and it has all gone into getting this project done. It was a lot more work than I had anticipated but now that it is pretty much done, I am glad to have it. I have been wanting to start making some bowls and my Delta lathe has proven to be a not very comfortable machine for that kind of work. Leaning over the bed to try and get into the lower part of a bowl makes my back scream. And the headstock is fixed so no moving it down to the end of the bed. I suppose I could have rigged up an outboard arrangement on that lathe but it is not all that heavy. I can rock it by hand even though it is firmly "planted" and a large out of balance blank will get it hopping pretty good. If I "had it to do again"? Not really sure I would... But one thing is certain. This lathe will be great for turning bowls. It will be some time, I would imagine, before I "outgrow" it.

Sid Matheny
09-01-2012, 8:52 PM
I'm weeks behind in understanding how the tool rest was going to work but now I see that it should be a wonderful way to get it where you want and need it to be. I'm impressed! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the carob for a break-in project.

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2012, 9:52 PM
Looking good DD. Really a nice setup.

Kelvin Burton
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
David,

Given the current lack of a tailstock, how will you handle those little tasks where turners always advise you to "bring up the tailstock for safety"? I read your mention of boring out for a vacuum chuck but I gather that's also in the future?

David DeCristoforo
09-01-2012, 10:30 PM
"...how will you handle those little tasks where turners always advise you to "bring up the tailstock..."

Well... since there is no tailstock, I guess I'll just have to forgo "bringing it up" for the time being.

Rick Markham
09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Very Nice David! I'm glad it's finished, it makes my back hurt just looking at it. I'd much rather see pictures of your work, paint job turned out A #1 Ok! Go get that thing dirty now that you are done cleaning up!

Alan Trout
09-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Dave,

That turned out to be a pretty cool lathe when you got it all done. Look forward to your review of how well it works.

Alan

Scott Hackler
09-01-2012, 11:33 PM
That ended up very nice. I must say that the manufacter badge is a great and thoughtfull touch.

Now in Norman Lathe tradition, you are supposed to give it away! It will take me about 3 days to drive out there! :)

Kathy Marshall
09-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Looking good David! The color coordination looks great and the tool rest looks like it should work well. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it surrounded by shavings.
Oh, and it's not Carob, it's Acacia ;).

Bob Rotche
09-02-2012, 8:06 AM
If you ever "outgrow" that monster, it will be time to go on a diet!

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2012, 3:07 PM
"...in Norman Lathe tradition, you are supposed to give it away! It will take me about 3 days to drive out there..."

Never mind. I'll deliver it. Just go out to your driveway and wait there. Don't leave because you might miss me. Just stay out there until you see my truck. Your wife can bring you a sandwich every now and then while you are waiting. I'll be there... no... really... I will...

James Combs
09-02-2012, 5:22 PM
That is a great looking machine Dave. I am sure we will be seeing some great turnings come off of it.
BTW, I checked out the gallery in your other post and I was wondering, the lathe pictured in the fires few pics has a bed. Is this not the same lathe but a duplicate of the "headstock" section? Does the guy that built/poured it do a lot of them?

David DeCristoforo
09-02-2012, 5:49 PM
"...lathe pictured in the first few pics has a bed...."

It's the same one. I just didn't use the bed part.

"Does the guy that built/poured it do a lot of them?"

This is a "one of a kind" unit. I can't imagine that either Mark or myself would ever want to make another one!

Baxter Smith
09-02-2012, 7:50 PM
Fit and finish is up to your usual standards! Hope it turns as good as it looks!

Mark Norman
01-06-2013, 3:29 PM
"...lathe pictured in the first few pics has a bed...."

It's the same one. I just didn't use the bed part.

"Does the guy that built/poured it do a lot of them?"

This is a "one of a kind" unit. I can't imagine that either Mark or myself would ever want to make another one!

It was a lot of fun building the monster and I suppose if I was approached I could replicate the basic form to create another one for a fee but Like David said, its a one of a kind.

The tool rest is exactly what I had envisioned David, good job!