PDA

View Full Version : Downdraft Table Gloat

Matt Meiser
09-01-2012, 5:04 PM
Last night my wife and I drove down to Ohio Amish country to pick up a bed we ordered. Since we were nearby we decided to stop at Keim Lumber this morning to look at some molding for the kitchen and I stumbled across this in their growing collection of Delta refurb equipment.

Even though I do most of my sanding with Festool sanders, the dust I breathe in doing final hand sanding has been bugging me, especially the red oak for the kitchen. I've been thinking about building one but this seemed to be too good a price to pass up.

This is the 50-880 which has a 24x24 surface, but you can sand much larger pieces due to the curtains. In theory 4' wide by unlimited length. Wouldn't want to do anything that big though.

I think I did good for just over $200? :D

They have more, and they have the 50-885 for something like $329 or $349 but I didnt' really want to give up that much room.

Dan Rude
09-01-2012, 5:21 PM
Let me be the first to say it.
YOU SUCK!!!!!
Dan

Brian Ross
09-01-2012, 5:25 PM
Excellent buy and going to Keim Lumber alone and just looking is a treat. Congrats.

Brian

gary Zimmel
09-01-2012, 6:50 PM
Nice find Matt.
Congrats....

Stephen Cherry
09-01-2012, 7:14 PM
It sucks, and you do too.

ed vitanovec
09-01-2012, 10:41 PM
You did good! I really like mine and it does a good job.

Joseph Tarantino
09-02-2012, 10:31 AM
It sucks, and you do too.

+1. congrats on a good buy.

Matt Meiser
09-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Excellent buy and going to Keim Lumber alone and just looking is a treat. Congrats.

Brian

My 3rd visit this summer :D

I think I'm going to try to find an off the shelf filter size that I can build a second filter holder for. Then I think I'm going to see about getting some catwalk grate from a friend and building a second top insert so that I can also use this when doing metalworking. With some more solid side shields, it seems like it could do a nice job controlling some grinding dust as well. Obviously it wouldn't make a good place for welding or plasma cutting but I'd live to have some dust control for the grinding part.

Dave Lehnert
09-02-2012, 3:28 PM
YOU SUCK.

I hope to make the trip up north again this fall. Like to take a long weekend but know most places are closed on Sunday.

Where did you order the bed from?

Matt Meiser
09-02-2012, 3:51 PM
A place on a back road just outside Mt. Hope called Pleasant Hill Furniture. If you head south out of Mt. Hope, its the first road on the left, just after the Wayne-Dalton garage door factory. He's maybe 1/2 mile down on the left. Its one of the real places that's at someone's house, no electricity, no telephone number (though he did call us to let us know it was done), no web site. The bed was on my todo list and we stopped at this place just to look when we were there mid-summer. They had something close at a great price and when I described what I was looking for he pulled out a book and showed me exactly that so we ordered it. We also got a cool Trex mailbox from him.