PDA

View Full Version : frustration & excitement

Bill Wyko
09-01-2012, 11:48 AM
My frustration is that I've had no lathe time for a few weeks now. Excitement is that I'm building a sound system for Rize Industries in their truck for the SEMA show in Las Vegas. I've been working 7 days a week day & night. As part of the deal, they are doing the suspension on my truck too. Their truck will be shot for the cover of 8 lug magazine in the near future as well, hopefully that will create a little bump for business. Good news is, it has given me time to dream up some new patterns for future segmented turnings. The truck has to be done by next weekend so I'll be back on the lathe very soon, I'll post pics of the truck in GWW later. It qualifies as woodworking due to a large part of the underlying structure of the build is wood.:D Now if I can just figure out how to integrate turning into an install.:rolleyes: Off to work now.

Dick Strauss
09-01-2012, 2:28 PM
Bill,
It is always exciting trying to get a car ready for a show (especially SEMA!) when you are running on nothing but adrenaline. Hopefully your build goes well and the customer is happy.

What about turning some end-grain woofer cones and gluing them to old woofers as a joke? On a more serious note, how about making some spherical (think B&W 800s) or "pointed bullet" boxes (think B&W Nautilus/802s) for the midrange and tweeter enclosures to cut down on internal reflections? You might want to play with these ideas for the next build if it might be in the budget.

Nate Davey
09-01-2012, 3:51 PM
I feel your pain, Bill. Wife and I are living in a hotel in Albuquerque until we close on our house........BORING!

Rick Markham
09-01-2012, 5:04 PM
Wow SEMA! That's a big deal Bill Congrats! Turning will still be here when you get back :) we promise! I've always wanted to go to SEMA, it's pretty amazing to have your work appear there... yes one of my passions is cool cars! Gotta love muscle cars :D