PDA

View Full Version : Applying CA to NE bark

Richard Jones
09-01-2012, 9:04 AM
Trying to figure out a better way to do this that will eliminate/minimize bleed-over into the adjacent wood.

Could I ask for your methods?

Thanks.

Rich

Eric Gourieux
09-01-2012, 9:18 AM
Richard,
Thats a tough one. I have brushed lacquer on the adjacent wood and then applied CA to the bark. The lacquer can then be sanded off to continue the finishing process. Most of the time, though, I haven had much trouble simply applying CA to the bark without noticeable bleed into the adjacent wood.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2012, 9:33 AM
I pretty much do what Eric does. Works well.

Curt Fuller
09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Mark Cothren taught me this trick. Because the CA tends to pull the color out of the bark and plant it in the outer sapwood, always apply it so it runs away from the wood. I had the habit of wanting to apply the CA while the piece was on the lathe. But that's were it gets tough to keep it from running into the wood. Take the piece off the lathe, chuck and all, and hold it with the edge down while applying the CA and you get better results.

Jim Silva
09-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree with Curt on this one. Upside down (bark down) will minimize the bleed and like others I apply a sanding sealer or some thinned out finish on adjacent wood just in case. Most times I don't use the CA, just a sanding sealer and find it's usually enough to keep the bark intact.

I also turn downhill (the wrong way) on the outside of the bowl near on and near the bark to keep the cut from lifting the bark off the layer underneath. Takes a light cut (usually shear scraped) so as to not have tear out but it's been many bowls since I lost a piece of bark this way.

Jim

Fred Belknap
09-01-2012, 8:00 PM
I put the ca on the inside of the bowl while it is on the lathe then take it off and set it upside down and put ca on the outside. I just use the small bottle of glue, the bark seems to just suck it out.
The ca is always downhill from the wood.

Jim Burr
09-02-2012, 12:11 PM
If Cothren does it and you guys have sucess with it...Winner!!

Richard Jones
09-09-2012, 9:22 AM
I forgot to thank everyone for their thoughts. The upside down method shows a lot of simple, common sense, probably why I overlooked it..............

Rich (overengineering is just one of my genetic anomalies) in VA