PDA

View Full Version : My Confession... My Torment... My Lament... My Voice!

Rick Markham
09-01-2012, 4:00 AM
So I've got a confession to make... I've been holding out on you guys, and I have a dirty secret...

This summer, another turner (who wishes to remain nameless) and I embarked on a journey, we decided to do an exercise. To foster creativity we decided that the pieces we generated should be based on something "experimental" that was the only requirement. So off we went (we communicated during the period but neither of us told the other anything about what we were doing.) I had a few ideas (none of which ended up in the finished piece) so I went off happily playing with that idea. In the meantime I had my first dyed piece working, and it was frustrating me, all the frustrations of getting the color just right, all of it running when the finish was applied all the normal first time stuff, so sand sand sand, fix cause myself another problem sand sand sand sand fix the color blah blah blah blah. At some point during all of this frustration my second piece started as a hey I wanna try this thing, the ugly sideways sunburst thing, but in that piece there was a glimmer, and an idea. The idea was to create the appearance of a 3 dimensional surface using color theory and what I had learned from my watercolor professor. "the Green Meanie" was born as a test to see if my process would work... I know I know, "the Green Meanie" went over like a lead zepplin, the off axis finial (also a prototype) wasn't a crowd pleaser :D far from it, and in hind sight it should have been refined. I do have to interject here a point about me, almost all of my prototype work is given to dear friends and family. To me it's a first in someway and deserves a special home, yes they aren't perfect, but they are the most important part of the process the solidifying of an idea. But the important part of "the Green Meanie" was what was going on in the color, and that's what's really special!

I guess at this point I need to tell y'all a bit about myself. I am 36 and earning a degree in Art. I've been an artist my whole life, whether I wanted to admit it or not. I've been a chef, a butcher, a baker, I've actually had the good fortune to be a candlestick maker (for a very short period of time.) I've done woodworking as a child, and as an adult for roughly 12 years. Woodworking was always an creative outlet. 3 years ago and change I stopped drinking. I had a problem, and I lived a fast hard life burning the candle at both ends, and I was a VERY ANGRY guy... something had to give... so I did (With the help of others like me, and something MUCH larger than me ;)) Then something changed... something remarkable... a creative engine started, and it's fuel was knowledge, it's this insatiable hunger that never ceases, I'm not sure I want it to. The best way I can describe how my creative process works is an exponential explosion of ideas, one idea leads to 10 more ideas which each have 10 more ideas etc. You get the point. Generally if I am not researching something that is going through my head I am trying it, building it, or pacing around thinking about it. Yes, I pace, ALOT. The only time my head isn't spinning is when I'm in front of the lathe and the wood is doing the spinning. :o This isn't a hobby to me, this IS my life. Hopefully one day I can truly be an independent artist.

Ok so here's the deal, and hopefully I haven't lost too many of you. I haven't posted my work on here (or ANY other forum) since "the Green Meanie" because my family saw my current work and has sworn me to secrecy. While one of the things I love most about our community is that we share with each other. This begins my torment. I've got something BIG! Did I say big? I meant HUGE and I want to scream it at the top of my lungs but I can't. So I've carried this burden around for quite a few months, and it is consuming me. The sharing (at this point in time) of how I do my current work is out of the question. Blood is thicker than water (besides they've put up with me for 36 years) I've quantified my time spent developing it and it is several thousand hours of thought easily. I've also spent several hundred hours trying to find ANYONE's work who is using color in this way in the woodworking world, and I haven't found anyone. This is my "voice"... it's been chosen for me.

There is an upside to this, the secrecy isn't forever. I've consulted with several professors and there is potentially a master's thesis here :) Which means it will be published. I am also making sure to document every step of everything, that way even if I get run over by a bus this isn't lost. My family agrees that this is too important to keep forever, this is a game changer. Make no mistake! It will work with any color, any dye, any can of stain. I also think I can use this and what I have learned without disclosing my process that can hopefully steer others onto new directions of their own, afterall our real point here is to further this art. Fostering Independent thought is the only way to accomplish that, but that requires work from the individual on their own.

That being said I've developed a method of dyeing to affect the hue of the visible color based solely upon the structure of the wood, the physics of color, and the physics of light. This is independent creative thought, art, and science coalescing. In the process I'm emulating blown glass.

I'll kick this off with my fourth dyed piece. I started this immediately after "the Green Meanie" because I wanted to see the effect on highly figured wood (and I wanted something small I could keep and hide for myself) I also decided to try an off axis finial again, this time much more dainty and intricate. I know no turners like off axis stuff, but this one is mine so I wanted it. Besides this is all just a big experiment right?

"the Green Mini Meanie" 2 3/4" diameter, 6" high. Maple burl, TransTint dyes. French Polished:eek::D... C&C welcome and appreciated.

Tim Rinehart
09-01-2012, 5:21 AM
Rick, reading your passion along this journey of learning and defining just makes me smile. That you brought yourself from a low in your life to being so energized is encouraging to anyone who has "been there" and wanted a way out.
I could tell from some recent posts that this was a passion for you (the coloring). I like what you're doing, hey I even like the offset stuff!, and can't wait to hear and see more. Bravo man...bravo.

Brian Libby
09-01-2012, 6:31 AM
Great looking piece! I like the color and the offset finial. Best of luck in your journey.

joel nucifore
09-01-2012, 6:54 AM
way to go Rick. great PC and journey. Been there in many ways............. And pulled my self out like you........

Clint Baxter
09-01-2012, 7:38 AM
Engrossing read. And a beautiful piece. Green is not my normal choice on wooden pieces but this one pulls it off nicely.

Great job.

Clint

Steve Vaughan
09-01-2012, 8:33 AM
Rick, that's a great piece to go along with a great story! Love this one, and my first thought with these colors was "The Grinch." I love the Grinch, it's my favorite Christmas story...especially because of the change in his heart! "It grew three sizes that day!" Great story and thanks for sharing this!

Bob Rotche
09-01-2012, 9:02 AM
What an incredible journey, Rick. I know it's not always easy to share those stories though I suspect it is also therapeutic. I have always admired your work and artistic sense and your exploration into color looks to be stunning. I am looking forward to seeing where this takes you (and hopefully picking up some tips along the way!) if any of us are able to become full time self supporting artists, you are certainly among the select few with the necessary combination of talent and drive (one without the other won't cut it) Best of luck with your journey and thanks for sharing.

Eric Gourieux
09-01-2012, 9:36 AM
Rick,
Thanks for sharing your story. Very compelling. I have enjoyed your posts and artistic input. Your mini meanie is awesome in form and color. The finial adds a great deal of interest - like a rock sculpture. Good luck with your thesis.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2012, 9:37 AM
Rick great story and journey. Really a beautiful piece. Love the finial. Good luck on your path and thanks for sharing your story.

Mike Tilley
09-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Rick I don't know you personally but your photo looks a lot like Baxter Smith !
However I do like your post.

Curt Fuller
09-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Rick, what a story! For most of us who turn wood or do any form of art, it is a step back in our lives. We've gone off in whatever direction life has taken us but somewhere along the way we've felt a frustration, a yearning, or something that pulls us away from what we do everyday. We need a creative outlet to both relieve our frustrations and release a bit of inner creativity. So in our case, we become weekend or evening warriors at the lathe. But I think many of us share a dream that somehow this turning thing could be our sustaining mission in life. It looks like you're well on the way to making it be just that. Let your voice be heard!

Bill Wyko
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Absolutely amazing piece. I too am one of those that the wheels don't stop spinning until the lathe starts. Being a small business owner, work is always on my mind. The lathe allows me to step out for a whille. It's almost as if I am soda in a bottle and the pressure in the bottle is released by going to the lathe. I'm glad you found the world of turning, your works of art would be missed if you chose another path. That being said, keep turning my friend, thanks for sharing.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-01-2012, 1:07 PM
Rick,
I'm exhausted from reading your piece but really energized by your enthusiasm. The hollow form looks wonderful and the color transition and depth are perfect. It could have been any color and been as wonderful but the green is so unusual it stands out. The finial is fun and tells me you know how to take what we do with a sense of humor. That will go a long way toward the Rick Markham signature style. I hope you get to do your thesis on something you enjoy so much and have it be a read we can all learn from.
faust

charlie knighton
09-01-2012, 1:15 PM
very nice, looking forward to seeing more pieces

Rick Markham
09-01-2012, 4:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! The community as whole means the world to me!

Sorry for wearing you out Faust, it wore me out to write it. But as Bob said it was therapeutic, and I don't feel like I'm going to explode (at least for now) anymore.

Bill the soda analogy is a good one, one only has to look at one of your pieces to realize that things go round and round in your head, it's the only explanation for having the drive and patience to do what you do.

Curt, thank you for your kind words. I consider myself blessed to have found something like this in my life, as I am sure everyone here does, let alone have the opportunity to chase it as a profession. Time will tell

Mike, Not all of us can be as handsome as Baxter and Myself... such is life :D (Thanks for making me laugh!)

Steve, "the Grinch" I like it, now I am going to have to go make another one!

Bernie and Eric, Thank you, I think Scott Hackler's suggestion to make it much more dainty was the ticket. I also think it has some potential/merit so I will continue exploring the wonky tops.

Joel, I have a feeling there are many of us here. It's a part of my story, and a turning point in my life that led me to turning, so I included it. I'm sure there are quite a few of us here in similar circumstances, it never hurts to know you aren't alone!

Clint, thank you for your kind words, I agree green is a strange beast on wood, but it also was my favorite color as a child (it still holds a special place in my heart.) I'm glad it worked out. No fear though the ones to follow this one aren't green :)

Brian, Thank you!

Tim, I saved you for last... I am passionate about color and there is a reason. It actually ties into the meat of this thread. These forums are great, their benefits far outweigh any disadvantage that is generated by everyone discussing and sharing ideas and techniques. But there is a distinct disadvantage, and that's a risk associated with following others. This is actually a pretty good example. We as woodworkers are very steeped in tradition and techniques handed down to us. (Don't get me wrong those are good things, and important things) but there's a catch (there always is.) That's the as a whole we as woodworkers use color in a very different way than other artists/ other artforms. It's not "wrong" or "right" in either way, it's just different. There are brilliant stunning examples of color work via those methods posted everyday. The risk is that we don't "throw convention to the wind" and get down to the physics of color, at the very worst it becomes yet another tool in our toolbox.

I have no desire to patent, or exploit anyone in regards to this, yes I would like to use it as a springboard for my career, it would be nice for it to help my education. All of those are really small things in the grand scheme of things. This is an opportunity (not just for me, but for everyone) to influence an artform as a whole. (I mean really who could have ever thought that there is a potential for that) Whether flat or round, no matter what the color used this works. Natural colors or bright gaudy colors, it works just as elegantly. (I plan on doing my best to demonstrate them for you) I could just tell everyone how to do it and we could have a thousand woodworkers all doing the same thing, but no one would understand why it works. I think the real opportunity here (since a gag order has been placed on me) is to use this and what i've learned to help foster 1,000 woodworkers all doing their "own" thing, or at the very least trying new things. Somewhere along the way We as a whole learn a whole lot more.

At some point the gag order will be lifted and I will be able to scream it at the top of my lungs. Unfortunately today isn't that day. :o

edited to add: Sorry Charlie, I didn't mean to overlook you, There are 5 pieces nearly completed right behind this, and I'm anxious to post them! Hopefully school will allow me some time to finish them soon! Thanks

Russell Eaton
09-01-2012, 6:55 PM
Rick by reading both of your post it is evident that you are passionate and VERY focused on color. Follow your heart, and full speed ahead. Congrats on the sobriety. Best of luck in you future pieces. By the way, this one rocks!

Dwight McNutt
09-01-2012, 7:45 PM
Rick!Rick!Rick... Man you are something. This is the most beautiful colored piece I have ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. One day I would just like to get a finish with WTF that you do, the tips in all the other threads about it are sure appreciated. I feel its been a long journey through life for you, but you have the handle on it now. Now you've did it, I can't wait for the next piece. Good luck in life, you da man.

Marc Himes
09-01-2012, 8:37 PM
Rick, I enjoyed reading both your post and I really like your piece. I have not used green with much success, so it is exciting to see the emerald green with such depth and brightness. Your story is also exciting. Life can take us through many twists and turns but it makes us who we are today. Being an artist with wood working experience is a perfect combination for wood turning. It is like, what else would you do? Of course you are going to turn wood. It is the most creative and satisfying activity I have ever done. The wood is beautiful in its own right, even making a successful cut is rewarding. Ending up with a piece of art, or a beautiful functional piece that can be shared with others fulfills a basic human need. We are blessed to be involved with the craft. As for color; I love it. I color most of my pieces and usually use several colors. It is exciting to see what happens and to change it along the way if I wish. Good luck in the rest of your journey. I am looking forward to sharing in your adventures.

Doug W Swanson
09-03-2012, 1:32 PM
Rick,
That is a really cool piece. The figure has an almost acrylic look to it. Beautiful!

Jamie Donaldson
09-03-2012, 8:09 PM
I'm not able to decipher hints of your process from your posts, but as a photographer who has worked with color for many years, I hope that you consider archival permanence as a very important criteria in your work. Woodturning cannot fully embrace color processes until they are lightfast, just as early color prints, and more recently inkjet printing, were not close to achieving archival qualities. There is very little empirical testing that has been undertaken in wood coloring materials and applications, and until that has been scientifically proven, coloring of turnings cannot be accepted as a true artform. Best wishes for your explorations, and we'll be watching and listening!

Glen Blanchard
09-03-2012, 8:45 PM
Rick - I'm a bit late to jump in here, but suffice it to say that yours is a wonderful story. Congratulations for redirecting your emotions into something as beautiful as this piece. The color is stunning!

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2012, 9:06 PM
I have not had time lately to read your "book" but I really like your piece. The color is amazing and the "crazy" finial adds a bit more than a touch of whimsey. I appreciate how you managed to keep your "serious artist" side from interfering with your sense of humor!

Rick Markham
09-04-2012, 2:37 AM
Jamie, I understand your concerns and share them with you. It's an important facet of what we do. Unfortunately until we as a community sponsor said research it's unlikely to happen, another concern is that we are dealing with wood which in and of itself isn't a permanent medium. We aren't dealing with vitreous ceramic. It's up to us (and only us) to generate that empirical data, maybe in our lifetime that will happen. (I sure hope so.)

David, you know me... I can't keep my sense of humor from showing, no matter how many times I bite my tongue! I've been referring to them as "wonky" tops because I am the "crazy" one (see original post). I understand your time constraints, but there will be a quiz on Wednesday!! :D

To everyone, thank you for posting, you have all made my day in some shape or fashion, and I appreciate it greatly! Sorry I delayed in responding, but my weekend has been filled with lots of writing, thanks to Art History.

Mike Cruz
09-04-2012, 2:59 PM
Rick, wow...that was a read! Congrats on multiple levels. Great piece.

Not sure I quite understand what your epiphany is, but I look forward to hearing it.

Jerry Rhoads
09-04-2012, 3:40 PM
WHEW!! You got it Rick. Great looking piece. And I did read all with great anticipation. Terriffic

Larry Komroff
09-04-2012, 4:18 PM
Rick,

What a great read and beautiful piece. It's great to see that things have turned around for you. I can't wait to see more of your artwork

Larry

Mike Wilkins
09-05-2012, 9:16 AM
That piece is awesome. It looks more like blown glass than a turned object. You could easily give lessons at turning shows on this technique. Keep walking this journey and don't forget to share.