PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Kathy Marshall
08-31-2012, 11:29 PM
I've been working on cleaning up the shop and in going through some of the boxes I've found some things that I don't have a clue about. I mosty just turn, but I have done some flatwork years ago but it was all with very basic tools. I have the full gamut of equipment now and I can see myself getting back into some flatwork when I have a permanent shop built and have the space to actually use the equipment.

I'm thinking this is some type of jig or fence. The bottoms of the brackets slide into grooves on the bottom/top? of the plate. Any idea what this is or which tool it would be used on?
This would seem to used for describing angles or arcs? In what circumstance would I use this?
This looks to have a 2MT taper, so I'm assuming it's for the lathe but can't think what the purpose would be.
Thanks!

Rick Potter
09-01-2012, 4:33 AM
Kathy,

I can't help you with the first one, but the second one is definitly a circular saw guide. Put it across your 2X10 and run the saw along the edge. You can also adjust it for angle cuts. I have one just like it. They still make them, but most now are plastic.

The third one goes on your lathe, and you can mount a buffing wheel or grinding wheel on it.

Rick Potter

Jerome Stanek
09-01-2012, 6:45 AM
The first one looks like a piece of running board for a pick up truck the second on is a adjustable protractor we use the for cutting rafter angles and the third one is a mandrel for wire brushes and buffing wheels

Mike Heidrick
09-01-2012, 8:33 AM
fence plate for #1?

Brad Schafer
09-01-2012, 8:46 AM
i have that same "adjustable guide square" that you do. it's been a while, but i think it came with a craftsman circular saw that my gpa got for my dad when i was a kid. because of the layout, you can use it for a saw guide (e.g., rafter angle cuts) ... it's also very useful for doing quick angle reproduction when you don't want to take time to measure, but just want to duplicate what's already there.

can't think where it would be usable in a WW shop, but very useful for framing.

-b

ray hampton
09-01-2012, 9:59 AM
the third one is a saw mandrel for metal lathe to cut metal[use a tail stock center

Roy Tysvaer
09-07-2012, 6:25 PM
The first one is the side table for a Delta Kickstand (a mobile stand for chop saws).