PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Blue and Glittered Box Elder Bowl.

Bob Bergstrom
08-31-2012, 9:02 PM
This is a 11" bowl that had a slight crack that didn't show up till I was sanding it out. I decided to highlight it rather than hide it. I fill it with gold mica powder and super glue. The bowl was dyed black using a paint brush and then sanded back.That was followed with blue Transtint and steel wooled with 0000#. The bottom was beaded and mutiple applications of glitter and Pearl-Ex powders. The rim is undercut about a 1/2" It was critiqued at Turn on Chicago and the beaded received positive comments by both commentators. Coments welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
That is a beauty Bob. I like the gold and the blue really sets it off.

Jim Burr
08-31-2012, 10:11 PM
This masterpiece requires a few questions Bob!! How do you apply your dye. What about glitter on the bottom? Always amazed with your dye and detail work, so I figured I'd ask

Bob Bergstrom
08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
This masterpiece requires a few questions Bob!! How do you apply your dye. What about glitter on the bottom? Always amazed with your dye and detail work, so I figured I'd ask
Jim, First of all I try to select a whitish wood that is somewhat soft and will absorb dye easily. Softer woods are also easier to sand back. I use Transtint for dying. Red, blue, yellow and black and mix what I need from those colors. I will us a brush to apply the dye until it is black. Then depending on how much of the second color is going to show I will either sand or steel wool it back. Sanding will give light streaks of the second color while steel wool will be much darker and subtle. The glitter depends of the size of the granules. Small enough it can be sprayed through a detail gun. Sometimes I sprinkle it from a small shaker that the glitter comes in. I will spray lacquer in a number of coats and sand the finish back to flatten any glitter still exposed. More lacquer and then wet sand to what gloss I desire. Dying a complete bowl is really easy and figured woods of soft maple, or box elder work well. Hard fiddle maple can really bring out the fiddle.

Kathy Marshall
08-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Beautiful bowl Bob! Nice job on the blue (favorite color) and the gold gives it some pizazz.

Michelle Rich
09-01-2012, 6:07 AM
I'm on a color kick too..so I love the blue

Marc Himes
09-01-2012, 9:22 PM
I love the blue and the bowl itself looks like it was very well turned.

Scott Lux
09-02-2012, 9:50 AM
I'm not huge on coloring wood, but my opinion doesn't matter. My wife said, "Oooooh, me likey". She really likes the beading and dusting on the bottom.

Bob Bergstrom
09-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Scott, she used that same keen eye when she choose you. I think she knows a good thing when she sees it. LOL.

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-02-2012, 5:29 PM
Hey Bob, a little something I here every now and then. It look like ceramics !!! Wheres the WOOD????????????????????
Looks great. Keep them coming.

Bob Bergstrom
09-02-2012, 6:38 PM
Ya the line between them becomes thinner all the time. Always admire you quad city artisans. Going up to the Chicago meeting to see some thin turning by Tom Stegall. Jeff Myroup might come along

Baxter Smith
09-02-2012, 7:49 PM
Looks great! Nice work on the color!

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-03-2012, 9:16 PM
Ya the line between them becomes thinner all the time. Always admire you quad city artisans. Going up to the Chicago meeting to see some thin turning by Tom Stegall. Jeff Myroup might come along

I miss going to those Chicago meetings. It's probably been a year since we've made it to one. Work schedules just don't seem to allow it anymore. Have fun!!