PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Mark Singer
04-12-2005, 11:01 PM
With the home that I am building down the street from mine, I need to decide what woodworking tasks, if any , to undertake. Should I just build the doors of the home? I built the doors in my own home. Should I build all the cabinets including the kitchen? Or just build some special cabinets and maybe the doors? Should I take it easy (whats that?) and just enjoy normal work...architectural, resturants, and real estate?....What should I do?

Keith Christopher
04-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Mark,

. Relax, go to a resturant, enjoy a good meal and then come back and design some front doors. A beautiful front door(s) is a treasure on a house.

Corey Hallagan
04-12-2005, 11:34 PM
I agree.... if you have built doors...wow! That is quite an undertaking. You will always see those doors when you drive by, the interior stuff, you won't get to enjoy.

Corey

Roy Wall
04-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Mark,

. Relax, go to a resturant, enjoy a good meal and then come back and design some front doors. A beautiful front door(s) is a treasure on a house.

Took the words right out of my mouth........:D

Design and build a terrific front door... 2-3" thick, use 3-5 ball bearing hinges, cool hardware & locks....etc..etc..

Our front door is 4'wide x 8'tall.....and eye catcher that everyone has always commented (favorably) on...

After you do this.....something else will keep you busy...

Bob Noles
04-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Mark,

With that much nervous energy, why not come to my house for a few weeks :D

Jamie Buxton
04-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Sub out any stuff you can explain to the sub. Do everything you can't explain.

Jim Becker
04-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Where will the value of the property most benefit from some of your woodworking time and talent? The reality is likely that you can't do "everything"....so what makes sense based on your available time for this project versus others that are on your plate and earning you a living?

I do agree that an outstanding custom front door would be the cat's meow, but given the consistancy in your designs from back to front and top to bottom, that may also require you to do the "other" doors, too...

Think in terms of maximum impact relative to the investment you need to make...and time counts there, too.

Corvin Alstot
04-13-2005, 12:32 AM
. . . Or just build some special cabinets and maybe the doors? Should I take it easy (whats that?) and just enjoy normal work...architectural, resturants, and real estate?....What should I do?
Mark/ I would take on the tasks that you either find compelling, interesting, fun
or challenging. Given all your other commitments, I would think that selecting
the key architectural elements should be high on your list . A custom front door
or a special millwork cabinet sounds like it would be a blast. Maybe a custom
build-in piece of furniture too. I was going to say, leave the standard details to
a trusted sub-contractor, but I do not think there is much that is typical or
standard in your pallette. :-) Sounds like your having fun!

Whatever you select, this might make a great series of progress pictures, hint . . .hint.

Mark Singer
04-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks Guys! I am starting to focus...a little. The front door may be a frameless Herculite door. I will design custom hardware for it...my friend Frank can make it from stainless or bronze. This leaves all the interior doors. I think there are about 11 doors. If I make them single lite french with an opaque panel...and the jambs and stops....it will not be to big a project. I will probably not make the kitchen cabinets....it is a little time consuming. I may buy Siematic or have someone make them....They will be Euro cabinets and I can build those pretty fast??? I will take bids and decide. There are a few specialized cabinets...home theater etc...maybe I will build a couple that are a little more custom....I think the doors and jambs is easy... I can't hang them anymore....I will get sombody for that...my back has not been that great ...besides I did enough of that in the past.

What about Cabinet parts...the company that sells boxes and door parts...is that an option? Is the quality very good?

Jamie Buxton
04-13-2005, 1:37 AM
What about Cabinet parts...the company that sells boxes and door parts

You might use them for the carcasses. They generally can put complete boxes in your shop for almost the same price you'd pay for the materials to make them. owever, I don't think you'll want to buy doors and drawer fronts from them. Their doors are mainstream products. That is, they look like 99% of the kitchens in the country. That makes sense for them, but it doesn't make sense for you.

Philip Duffy
04-13-2005, 6:05 AM
Suggest you design and build the front door but, spend a great deal of time watching over the sub-contractors to see what they are doing. Currently, I am spending my time replacing rotten trim on doors and windows on a custom built home that is less than ten years old. Not a spec of rot prevention methods appear anywhere I lookl Good luck. Phil

Alan Turner
04-13-2005, 8:11 AM
Mark,
Were I you, and given my interests, which are almost totally in solid wood construction, I would make the front door, and the wood details which will increase the eye appeal of the home, but leave the sheet goods work to those with panel saws and a ton of square feet for assembly, finishing, etc.

In Philadelphia, the Center City area was built between abut 17?? and 1875 or so, as you move west from the Delaware River. Many of what were originally single family homes of much size and grace (5000 - 8000 feet)were later converted to apts, and now are being condo'd into 3-8 unit buildings, and selling for what I think are pretty staggering prices on a per sq. foot basis ($350 - $550). At that level, a few details could make a big price difference since better quality kitchen cabinets, etc., don't change the total cost per foot by that large of a percentage. Perhaps in your area the same type of price structure prevails. I know that Southern Calif. is a spendy place for housing.

And, most importantly, I have yet to see a condo advertisement which features a wood shop, built in dust collection, etc. (: Perhpas some developer could find a niche.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-13-2005, 8:29 AM
Most people spend a lot of time in the living/media room these days. Why not make a solid wood entertainment 'wall' and complimenting bar area? You could incorporate a soda stand and popcorn machine as well as a bar for the big kids. With your design abilities and talents in woodworking, it would be something else to view.

Mark Singer
04-13-2005, 8:31 AM
Alan,

Things here are selling for $1000 and over per sq ft. This home is 3500 sF and I think it will bring upwards of 4 million!

Mark,
Were I you, and given my interests, which are almost totally in solid wood construction, I would make the front door, and the wood details which will increase the eye appeal of the home, but leave the sheet goods work to those with panel saws and a ton of square feet for assembly, finishing, etc.

In Philadelphia, the Center City area was built between abut 17?? and 1875 or so, as you move west from the Delaware River. Many of what were originally single family homes of much size and grace (5000 - 8000 feet)were later converted to apts, and now are being condo'd into 3-8 unit buildings, and selling for what I think are pretty staggering prices on a per sq. foot basis ($350 - $550). At that level, a few details could make a big price difference since better quality kitchen cabinets, etc., don't change the total cost per foot by that large of a percentage. Perhaps in your area the same type of price structure prevails. I know that Southern Calif. is a spendy place for housing.

And, most importantly, I have yet to see a condo advertisement which features a wood shop, built in dust collection, etc. (: Perhpas some developer could find a niche.

David Fried
04-13-2005, 9:02 AM
"All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

What do YOU love to do? Doors? Kitchens?

When you last did these things, which left you thinking "Next time I'll try this or I could do that ..."

Anything you've been meaning to make or try but haven't gotten to yet?

Glen Blanchard
04-13-2005, 9:35 AM
Speaking of front doors, I have double doors on the front of my house and they need to be replaced. It is probably a bigger job than I am able to handle, but would enjoy doing some due diligence before I hire someone to do it for me. Anyone have a link for some basic plans for a font door so I can see what it entails?

Corvin Alstot
04-15-2005, 3:18 PM
Mark/
I know this is not your style, but is there a grand stair in your design.
Any more progress on what you are going to do?

Chris Padilla
04-15-2005, 4:34 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright! Right?! ;)

John Hemenway
04-15-2005, 5:35 PM
Greene & Greene. It was on TOH or NYW once. Amazing woodwork! In Pasadena, CA.

Mark Singer
04-15-2005, 6:28 PM
Frank Lloyd Wrong.....It was and the winner is Greene and Greene...Gamble house( procter and gamble) John Gamble,grandson is a neighbor and friend.
Frank Lloyd Wright! Right?! ;)

Mark Singer
04-15-2005, 6:29 PM
I have decided not to do the rough carpentry...that is for sure! Michael Winters will do that...

Alan Turner
04-15-2005, 6:57 PM
Mark,
I can't even afford Center City Phildelphia. I would need to hit the lottery for the 1k/ft., or limit myself to a 1 Br. doghouse. Wow! Who says inflation is under control?

Doug Cowan
04-16-2005, 1:57 AM
Speaking of front doors, I have double doors on the front of my house and they need to be replaced. It is probably a bigger job than I am able to handle, but would enjoy doing some due diligence before I hire someone to do it for me. Anyone have a link for some basic plans for a font door so I can see what it entails?

Try a search for doors, there was a great thread with lots of links not more than a few weeks ago.