PDA

View Full Version : Next project, box of parts into a plane?

steven c newman
08-31-2012, 5:56 PM
Half the parts will get here next week. The parts i do have on hand, are just "left-overs', needing a job. So, until the rest of the group gets here, a tease....240295:eek: Stay tuned to this "Batty Channel" Next episode will be in a week, same "Bat-time", same "Bat-channel" ( and let the "Bat Jokes" begin...).:D

steven c newman
08-31-2012, 9:08 PM
Let's see.... a front knob from a union plane, with a phillips headed 1/4 x 20 bolt. A Bakelite tote, from parts unknown. Base is a Stanley Victor that used to be an 1104. New paint job. Parts onthe way: frog, iron, chip breaker from a late model Stanley #5. Along with all the bolts. Also coming in is a lever cap with the kidney shaped hole. Some of it's plating is gone, the rest will follow when it gets here. Yes, a #5 frog will fit in a #4 base IF they are about the same style. In this case, they are. Just some parts that nobody else wanted. Shake the box, and a plane comes out...:-))

steven c newman
09-01-2012, 1:24 AM
according to the tracking number, package should arrive Sat. morning. Might have this "kit" done by Monday???

steven c newman
09-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Box showed up this morning. Got the parts cleaned up a bit, and started to install them. Cleaned up frog240319Lapped flat, too. The rest of the parts were cleaned up as well240320Since things are clean and sharp, a test drive?240321240322 not too bad for a pile of leftovers? Box of parts from Ebay was just over $12. The rest were just sitting around, taking up bench space.

steven c newman
09-01-2012, 5:57 PM
While this doesn't have a "LN" number, or a LV number, this is what can be done with just some good parts. This is from parts that are before the "Two Tones" (YUCK) the Blue painted bodies ( Blue Man Group??) or the myriad of other "Stanley" colours used. Just a plain old "Black & Chrome" plane. Seems to be a nice user. Front knob was painted, ala later Stanleys, because it was a might beat up. had to grind away a bit at the bottom so it could fit in the ring on the base. When that happened, a chip out, that was there, disappeared from sight. Painted black to match the rear tote.

Iron has a lot of "life" left in it. Might go back with some orange paint, and touch up around the "STANLEY" on the lever cap. i guess I could call this a "Type 20"??? Nah, I'll just call it a user..