PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Picks

Dale Osowski
08-31-2012, 4:18 PM
When not making tables, cabinets etc I make small items such guitar picks. It started as a way to use small scraps but I get pretty steady orders for them.

frank shic
08-31-2012, 6:43 PM
oh that's nifty! how do you make them? what do you play - lead or rhythm?

Dale Osowski
09-01-2012, 7:35 AM
I rough cut to shape on band saw, then clean up with Dremel tool mounted in vice. I'm just a casual player. What you see in the photo is actually two picks per stack. Finished pick is 1.0mm - 1.5mm thick.

Ryan Mooney
09-01-2012, 12:29 PM
That's a great idea for using up small scrap. I know a few guitar players who I think would like one.

Dale Osowski
09-01-2012, 5:48 PM
Yes, the players seem to really like them. I have a regular customer who was getting sets of 10 order 100.

Shawn Pixley
09-01-2012, 6:44 PM
Interesting! Never tried a wood pick. Use mainly nylon now but when I was playing Bass, I used a stone pick for a while.
How do the wood picks respond?

Dale Osowski
09-01-2012, 8:54 PM
Depending on the wood they well mellow a bright guitar, not to a great extent but some ears can pick it up. The do lessen the tick of pick attack.

andy duframe
09-01-2012, 9:34 PM
Interesting. Don't think I've seen wood picks like this.
First thing that came to mind is they look easy to hang on to (I seem to drop nylon picks).
Any problems with the wood splitting? Seems a fairly thin piece of material for wood.

Shawn Pixley
09-01-2012, 9:53 PM
Splitting would be a major setback. I used to use white Fender mediums (white is easier to find when you drop one onstage). Unfortunately they crack and I would usually break a string when that happened. Switching to nylon fixed that, but I miss something in the attack.

Interesting. Don't think I've seen wood picks like this.
First thing that came to mind is they look easy to hang on to (I seem to drop nylon picks).
Any problems with the wood splitting? Seems a fairly thin piece of material for wood.

Dale Osowski
09-02-2012, 9:25 AM
I keep the grain perpendicular to the strings so splitting has not been an issue. The times they do split is when someone flexes them out of curiosity. I'm sure a heavy or tight handed picker would split one though.