PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project finished

Kelly C. Hanna
04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
We just finished this kitchen cabinet refacing job. Lamar did all the woodworking (and did quite a good job at that) and I stained most of it. Since this was our first one it was not without it's challenges, but we're both happy with the way it turned out as are the homeowners. Here's a link to the new page....

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/CabinetReface1.html

Paul B. Cresti
04-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Kelly,
great work! from one pro to another, even though the finished product looks simple enough, we all know how much sweat went into it!

Jim O'Dell
04-12-2005, 11:06 PM
I agree, Kelly, really looks great. Jim.

Corey Hallagan
04-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Kelly, that looks awesome!! You really nailed it (pun intended :) )on those cabinets... the tile and stain color work great together. What did you use for your door panels 1/4 oak plywood?
Can I ask you what the previous cabinets were made of or the shell? Was it a bear to tear off the old face frames without damaging the cabinet shells? Reason I ask, I am looking a remodel just like that in the face on the next project ( if all goes well on the current living room remodel - within 60 days) and my cabinets were made in the early to mid 60's. They are maple cabs with face frames of stub tenon construction. Doors appear solid but are actuall maple venered and are hollow in the center. I am afraid to try to rip the face frames off and just redo with oak and new doors in fear of tearing the heck out of them. If anything, Iwan them for my shop if I build or buy new cabs. Sorry for the long post and again, awesome work, I have bookmarked your page.
Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
04-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Corey,

Yes, we used 1/4" ply with two good sides for everything that wasn't solid wood. There were no face frames on these cabinets to start with. They were the Ikea style particle board covered in white veneer something.

Old face frames can be removed very simply with a trim pry bar from Home Depot and a lot of care. You should have no trouble salvaging most everything you need if you take your time.

Corey Hallagan
04-13-2005, 1:14 AM
Thanks for the info Kelly. I spent an hour at your website... you have been a busy guy. You do great looking work.

Corey

Dan Forman
04-13-2005, 2:20 AM
Beautiful work, I bet they are thrilled after looking at all white cabinets for the past how long.

Dan

Kelly C. Hanna
04-13-2005, 8:19 AM
Most of the credit for this one has to go to Lamar, he made all the trim, face frames, doors and drawer fronts in his shop (mine was a mess for months). I am very happy with the way things turned out on this project.

Michael Pfau
04-13-2005, 8:25 AM
Very nice Kelly. I have used the english chestnut on several coffee and end tables I have buildt in red oak. Its a very nice stain on oak!

Terry Hatfield
04-13-2005, 9:34 AM
Kelly,

WOW!!! Super nice job!! The cabinets look great.

t