PDA

View Full Version : refinishing a desk: old masters gel stain dark mahogony over a veneer

Mike Hopkins62
08-30-2012, 8:58 PM
Hello

I am using Old Masters gel stain for the fist time and I could use some advice. I put on one coat and I can tell I will need at least one additional coat. Between coats should I use 000 or 0000 steel wool? Or sandpaper? Also can I touch up parts of the desk with nicks and dings with this? (the desk has a poly finish)

After I reach the color that matches the rest of the desk are there recommendations for topcoats. I have Watco Dark walnut stain That I am considering but I am afraid that it might be a bad idea. If I make my own wipe on poly, is 50/50 about the right percentage mix for a poly/paint thinner? How many coats of wipe on are needed to build up a decent finish? Is there an advantage of using turpentine over paint thinner? Would naptha be better or does it not really matter?

I know it is a pile of questions I posed here, but I am trying to get this right so thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Howard Acheson
09-01-2012, 11:40 AM
No sanding between coats is required. In fact, sanding would probably create uneven coloring. According to the directions, let the first coat fully dry and then apply your following coat.

Mike Hopkins62
09-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Howie -

Thanks for your response and the desk is starting to look good (at least to my eyes...and more importantly to my wife's eyes). I will post pictures when I am further along. I now have two coats of a walnut gel stain on top of this bookmatched veneered top and I want to put something on top. Would you have any concerns about puting Watco Light Walnut or Watco Dark Walnut over top a gel stain? I have only used clear Watco on solid woods befor and I hope to avoid making a big mistake at this juncture of putting finishes together that should not mix.

Thanks again,

Mike