PDA

View Full Version : Horrible laser engraving with VL-300

Dave Kurt
04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Quick history;

Purchased this machine about five months ago (VL300 v1.28). It was packed with the worst instruction manual I have ever seen. The HP printer I paid $160 for a year ago came with a better manual.

Went to a trade show one month later and was laughed at by ULS reps regarding my purchase of a compressed air unit (ULS looking through notes to see who this customer is - yes I called Phoenix and complained :)). Ironically, considering what I mentioned above, I spoke with an Epilog rep at the same show who two weeks later spent almost one hour on the phone helping me engrave a glass mug with the VL-300!

Two months later the power supply died. Spent a weekend taking apart and reassembling the unit - ULS tech support was nice enough to email a PDF with six pictures on how to replace the PSU - what a joke.

My immediate problem;

I have tried to engrave a graphic (representation of a rose) onto a maple photo album (2in high). No matter what settings or software I use, the machine always engraves blurry. I have tried AI CS and Corel 11, changed colors from blue, black to red, adjusted what few settings I can decipher as the manual doesn't explain the control panel options, and cleaned all the optics twice. Here I sit today after destroying two expensive maple photo albums. One of which should have been delivered to a customer tomorrow. The other I have now resigned myself to using as a practice piece.

Conclusion;

I am entertaining the idea of selling the machine, perhaps on E-bay, unless someone can suggest another place. I appreciate this is something new for me, but holy cow, I watched the Epilog folks demonstrate their machines at the show and then was allowed to practice on one, and it was so much easier to use. The control panel and options made so much more sense and even the machine had more options. Their comparable model even cost less! Yes I was a victim of really good marketing.

Chuck Burke
04-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi Dave,
I'm relatively new to this business also. I can't tell you how many times I have made mistakes or screwed up a piece trying to figure it out. As Rodney Gold ( another forum member) says, "consider it paying your school fees".
One thing I learned is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS try someting on a test piece FIRST! That way you know beforehand what will happen.
I don't have a Universal Versa Laser, I have a Pinnacle/Mercury right now, so I understand about the manual issues. What I did, was keep calling tech support. That is what they are there for.
If your laser is only 5 months old and your bought it new, call the company/rep you bought it from and keep at it until it works the way you know it should. The Universal reps I have met have all been knowledgeable helpful people.
Bottom line is there IS a learning curve here. If I can find the first PICTURE I tried to engrave, I'll post it. We can all have a good laugh.

Take care and good luck
Chuck Burke

rich shepard
04-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Hi Dave
I'm new at this also have had my Mini for just over a month now and have not had that much of a problem with images on wood or marble.
Have you converted the image to graytone? If not you will have a fussy image. I use Corel 12 and have not had a problem, just make sure the image is in graytone and has a good contrast.
rich

Kate Raap
04-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I also have a universal laser. Actually I love it, but yes I too have had issues with tech support. My solution? I don't use them anymore. I tend to like to figure things out on my own. One option for you, and I'm not sure that you would want to spend more money, but a program like PhotoGrav helps immensly when it comes to engraving pictures onto things, especially wood. I beleive the program costs around $400. But so far I believe it's a great investment. I know you can fix the pictures yourself in Corel Photo paint or in corel draw but this just takes out some of those steps and gives you the nice all around clean cut picture. I'll see if I can find a pic of anything I have done for you to look at, otherwise I'll try something this afternoon and post it for you here tonight or tomorrow. I tend to do a lot of things on wood, I have a lot for the outdoorsmen here and I have gotten great results. Though I can't say as I have tried maple, but let me see what I can do and get you some help. I know it can be frustrating. I'm still a newbie myself, having mine for only about 6 months. I won't be able to give you my settings really, because I do have a 100 W laser, but you could use my settings and decrease from there. But I will see what I can help you on since I agree the manual doesn't really help that much. I'll be back soon with answers for you hopefully!

Mike Mackenzie
04-13-2005, 3:55 PM
Dave K.

I am not sure where you are located or who you purchased the system from. But if I was you I would be raising He!! with the factory or the rep you purchased it from.

Do not except no as the answer! we are ULS reps here in Los Angeles and I would never let something like this happen. I can not speak for other rep organizations but in my view this is un acceptable. These systems are good and there are several thousand happy customers.

I never like to see these kind of posts because it reflects bad on everyone selling the product. If I can be of any assistance at all to resolve the issues please don't hesitate to ask.

I am forwarding this posted message onto the factory but I strongly suggest that you contact the company you purchased it through and get it working properly and get the necessary training so you will be able to understand the system better.

As for the problem at hand are you sure that the focus is correct check it with the tool supplied.

Again if I can help at all please let me know.

Dave Kurt
04-13-2005, 9:45 PM
I appreciate all the responses and yes, I was pissed yesterday, and have now calmed down a bit. Probably better to vent here than push the machine out the back door – might break my back anyhow. Anyone posting settings or images for me is a great person in my mind and your help is greatly appreciated!

Mike, I purchased the machine from a distributor on the east coast. I can't solely blame them, but I truly despise having to pay for each phone call. I am still reeling from the lack of documentation supplied with the machine. Would it have cost that much more to provide a comprehensive manual or did the factory believe all these customers would already know how to use a laser engraver? If nothing else, at least provide the bozo customer with some sample pieces to practice on.

I have resigned myself to the same methodology as Kate – figure it out myself since tech support gives the impression they don’t care. As an example, regarding the PSU I replaced, the tech rep never even bothered to call back to see if the machine worked properly, even after I emailed him to ensure I could power it back on! No reply to the email or a phone call.

I am located in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1 ="">Long Beach</st1></st1:city>, and would prefer to deal with someone local, unless your company is prohibited from assisting another company’s customer. If this is practical please let me know, and in the meantime, I will test the focus on this machine.

Thanks again everyone.

Kate Raap
04-14-2005, 10:29 AM
Well I'm back, and luckily I had a piece of wood with a photo engraved on it from my beginning stuff! I also have my settings for that exact piece, I tend to keep note cards on everything I do and have the times and settings written down for everything. Never know who might want something like it and it just makes it easier for me to quote in the end! Anyway, the picture is posted, I know it's not a very good pic but I think you'll get the idea.
My settings:
Power - 80
Speed - 50
PPI defaults to 1000 because I use the 3d mode. I would suggest trying it out, it makes a bit of a difference. Anything else you want to know I have all my info and I'd love to help or share whenever I can!

Chuck Burke
04-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Kate,
Thanks for the post. What a great idea about keeping note cards for everythng. I'm going to start doing that.
What brand and power laser do you have?

Thanks
Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards

Kate Raap
04-14-2005, 4:14 PM
I have a universal 100 Watt. If I'm not mistaken you are also on the engraving etc. board arent' you? On there my name is dzines49404.
And thanks, yeah I like keeping note cards on everything I do, then it doesn't take up computer space and I keep them stored in a nice little box. To be honest the idea came from recipe cards (and I put them in a recipe box) Just makes my life easier when I need to know a quick answer.