PDA

View Full Version : Ummm Stumped!!

Braden Todd
08-30-2012, 2:46 PM
I have a customer requesting samples with an engraving of text on a clear acrylic tube. I have seen the other companies work and it is light but still very much visible.

My problem is that all of my attempts are coming out clear! With the exception of when I got frustrated and put the power at 60% and got a nice amber colored burn.

I have tried using 50 60 70 and 100% black at 400 and 600 dpi with no change. my power has been from 30-60% and I am still just getting a clear engraving. This has all been done on my 60watt Epilog Helix

What can I do to make it work?? I know there is a solution because I have the sample but I am just not seeing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Duncan Crawford
08-30-2012, 3:04 PM
Braden,

You might want to verify the *type* of acrylics your have-- other company work, and your sample tube. Cast acrylic will engrave nicely, extruded will not (comes out clear rather than frosted) and Lexan basically just yellows/melts. Tough to tell without a picture of your attempt, but I'd think you might have some Lexan tubing, or at best extruded.

duncan

Martin Boekers
08-30-2012, 3:04 PM
You may want to post a picture. Acrylic comes as cast and extruded.

First off is it really arcylic or possibly a polycarbinate?
BIG difference between the two materials. Polycarbinates
tend to burn yellow and put off a smoke that can be toxic.

Second Cast acrylic engraves frosted, extruded engraves a clear channel.

Are you absolutely sure the product is the same as your sample? If so check with
the supplier to make sure you recieved the same pieces as the sample.

Braden Todd
08-30-2012, 3:20 PM
I was actually able to test on the sample I was given and ended up very clear compared to the original.

I just called the customer and it is a polycarbinate tube, now I am worried about the fumes and the light engraving!

Is the polycarbinate cheaper or better than a clear acrylic tube? If there isn't a quality/durability difference I am wondering if I could sell them on using the acrylic for a better engraving as well as safety.

Thank you!!

Mike Null
08-30-2012, 3:55 PM
The polycarbonate will be considerably more durable which is probably why it was selected. Polycarbonate (Lexan) can be engraved but the results can vary so I would continue to run tests. Change the focus as well to see if that makes a difference.

Hilton Lister
08-30-2012, 4:21 PM
Have you considered that it may be sandblasted. My opposition does not yet have a laser and makes extensive (and effective) use of a sandblasting setup to achieve comparable results on perspex.
I'm not sure that it would work on polycarbonate, but it may be worth trying.

Larry Bratton
08-30-2012, 4:36 PM
You can purchase cast acrylic tube for sure, but first of all it is very expensive. Not to mention that you will find it hard to buy small quantities. Delvies carries tubing in various lengths and sizes, but I don't believe they have it in cast. I bought some from them not long ago and it was extruded.

Braden Todd
08-30-2012, 4:45 PM
It is a laser doing the work, and if I can't get it soon I may try to blast it!

I am getting closer but now I am also seeing a yellow tint to my attempts, trying to play with the power settings now.

Joe Pelonio
08-30-2012, 6:58 PM
Yellow, and in fact yellow smoke when cutting is common with lexan.Try low power and very slow speed.You might also try
engraving through a damp tissue and see if that helps.

Bill Cunningham
09-02-2012, 7:36 PM
Also try about 60-70% grey instead of black.

Braden Todd
09-03-2012, 11:36 AM
After many more attempts I am still not getting the same results as the original engraver.

I did try the 70% black, but when compared to the original engraving my attempt is noticeably different.

I even called Epilog to see if they had any ideas. Looks like I am going to the plant tomorrow to meet with everyone there to do some test runs, gotta love that kind of help after the sale! Hopefully I will get this sorted out soon!

Thanks to all for the ideas and tips so far!!