PDA

View Full Version : Lambs Tongue Tutorial?

Peter Pedisich
08-30-2012, 1:31 PM
Hi, I'm going to attempt Lambs Tongue, and more simple stopped chamfers.
Anyone have a good tutorial they have used?
I've looked at a few on youtube, but they were not helpful to me.

Thanks,

Pete

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-30-2012, 1:52 PM
Peter Follansbee covers this in the joint stool book, and maybe his website, I believe. I don't remember much about it other than something about it made part of the process "click" for me. The few I've done, I've used a broad chisel for almost all the work. A fair amount of work bevel down. Really good chisel practice. Straight grained wood makes the work much more agreeable - planning your grain direction will help immensely when using an edge tool on this - eventually something ends up going the wrong way, and you want to take the slightest shavings to keep something from splitting.

files or abrasives can work too, but on a lot of woods, I really like the glassy, polished surface and crisp edges you get from a sharp knife or chisel. Looks nicer in my opinion, and is more fun for me. Of course, it's also a lot easier to ruin.

I think the "Woodworking" magazine that Popular Woodworking put out (the one with the b&w photos) also had a bit of info on it in an article about chamfers - I think by Chris Schwarz.

To me, it just seems like a practice practice practice thing. I've almost got it to the point where I'm happy with them. Half the time.

I have found it easiest to do chamfer work, particularly stopped chamfer work before things are assembled. Going after assembly makes things . . . interesting.

Dave Beauchesne
08-30-2012, 9:30 PM
Peter:

I thought Konrad Sauer did a tutorial a while back on his Blog - Sorry, I don't have the time to look it up right now, but it may be worth a look see.

Dave Beauchesne

Peter Pedisich
08-30-2012, 9:35 PM
Joshua, Thanks, I have the joint stool book, and this is what inspired me to try them, but I'm looking for a little more in-depth instruction. But you are right just pick up a chisel and practice!

Peter Pedisich
08-30-2012, 9:36 PM
Dave,

Thanks, I check in often at Konrad's blog... I'll take a look, thanks for the heads up!

Tony Sade
08-30-2012, 11:19 PM
I found this one pretty useful:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/newsletters/Woodworking/5/3/article1.htm

Peter Pedisich
08-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Tony, Great find! thanks, -pete