PDA

View Full Version : Question about gluing finger joints

Joe Hillmann
08-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I own a laser and do a lot make a lot of items out of 1/8 ply that is joined with finger joints. I am having a problem with it taking to long to glue up a lot of the items I make. One of the items I make is a 9 drawer fly tying case it has close to 3000 fingers on it that all need to be glued for assembly. It takes about and hour to cut the parts on the laser but 5 or 6 hours to glue it all together and with that much time invested in to them I can't sell them and come out ahead. So far I have only made them for gifts. I would put up a picture so you can see the construction detail but my camera is at home.

My thought is to assemble the boxes with out glue using masking tape to hold everything together then use a syringe to inject a thinned glue into all the joints with the hope that the joints will suck up the glue.

What type of glue would give me the most success? I am thinking either a super glue for wood or simply watering regular wood glue way down to the thickness of milk.

On some of my projects I just tape the pieces together and then put a fillet of wood glue into the corners and that seems to work, but on this the fillet of glue would get in the way of drawers and compartments.

Joe Hillmann
08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Also, if a thin CA glue is the way to go, can it be gotten for cheaper than $10 an ounce?

Cody Colston
08-30-2012, 3:37 PM
You can get thin CA here for $3.10 an ounce.

http://woodenwonderstx.com/ZC_WoodenWonders/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=c6dfc654cca235c2a81e3df00f295894