PDA

View Full Version : Anybody recognize this? Delta CMS laser

Curt Harms
08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I've got a Delta 36-255L twin laser miter saw which is now a single laser. I'm quite sure it's a bad laser - swapping power leads with the other one didn't help. Both power leads lit one, did not light the other. I find the lasers useful in less than optimum lighting though they're about useless outdoors. Replacements are available ............. for $88+. I don't think so. I doubt Delta/Porter Cable have an exclusive on this unit, they sourced it from somewhere. The printing says "SS-04C". There may be another character but it's either a smudge or has partially been rubbed off. Does anyone recognize this or know where to get one? Thanks in advance.

John McClanahan
08-30-2012, 6:04 PM
If you know the voltage, check ebay. There are plenty to choose from. You may need to splice the wires from the old one to get the connector. You will want one that says it makes a single line, not a cross or spot.

John

Curt Harms
08-31-2012, 9:18 AM
If you know the voltage, check ebay. There are plenty to choose from. You may need to splice the wires from the old one to get the connector. You will want one that says it makes a single line, not a cross or spot.

John

Thanks John. I did a search on the Delta part # but not just on a laser. The connector is readily accessible so I can check the voltage easily enough. The trick is that the shape & dimensions have to be the same. The part fits in a rubber holder.

John McClanahan
08-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Here is what I had in mind. This one makes a cross, and runs on 3 volts. I found it in the Business and Industrial section.

ebay.com/itm/2pcs-650nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-cross-generator-650-nm-/260870712034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd1b2ae2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-650nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-cross-generator-650-nm-/260870712034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd1b2ae2)

John

Curt Harms
09-01-2012, 6:52 AM
Here is what I had in mind. This one makes a cross, and runs on 3 volts. I found it in the Business and Industrial section.

ebay.com/itm/2pcs-650nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-cross-generator-650-nm-/260870712034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd1b2ae2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-650nm-5mW-laser-module-3-2VDC-cross-generator-650-nm-/260870712034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbd1b2ae2)

John

Boy a few minutes with ma Google finds another corner of the world i didn't know existed. I have an inquiry with an outfit in Texas. I need 10 mm. diameter about 25-30 mm. long. It seems 12 mm. is more common but I'm sure I'll find something suitable. A replacement may not have the hex top to help with adjusting parallelism but for the $70+ difference I'll find a way. Thank you for your help.

Curt Harms
09-08-2012, 9:38 AM
Well, here's the followup. I bought 2 modules from these 'guys'. http://thelaserguy.stores.yahoo.net/er655mwredla.html Deborah was answering my emails and her service was very good; prompt and she seemed to know what she was talking about. I ordered on the 4th, they shipped on the 5th and I received them on the 7th via first class mail. There were 2 issues I knew about - they were 9 mm. rather than 10 mm and they didn't have an obvious means to twist the module in the holder to align the beam. The first problem was cured with metal foil tape. The second problem was cured by bonding a 1/4" nut to the end opposite the lens with epoxy putty. Both solutions seem to work. The line from the new diode is about 1/2 -2/3 the width of the OEM laser which is good. I don't think it's quite as bright but it's easily visible in the environment where it's used so I'm happy. If the light is good enough I can't see the laser lines the light is good enough I don't need it. This exercise did expose some shortcomings in the design of the laser holders in the saw but I was able to work around them. $25.22 for two modules delivered is better than $88 for one replacement from eReplacementparts in my book.