PDA

View Full Version : Frankensaw?

Jeff Wittrock
08-30-2012, 9:59 AM
A few weeks back I was asking about steel to use in making a hand saw. Instead of starting from scratch, I decided instead to find an old saw in bad enough shape that I wouldn't feel bad about bungling it too badly.

I didn't pay much for this one (well much less than buying the 1095 spring steel anyway). The seller was a professed (and non-apologetic) saw painter, and even showed some examples of his debauchery performed on other saws. I figured anything I would do to the poor thing would be more dignified than painting, and it had a 28" plate so I would have plenty of material to work with, so I bought it. The seller identified it as a C.E. Jennings.

The medallion is indeed marked "C.E. JENNINGS & CO. NEW YORK". Once I cleaned the plate up a bit, I could actually see the etch, and it is marked as "HENRY DISSTON & SONS" though the etch is very faint and washed out so can't make out any more. I'm guessing this is a No. 7 28" rip saw that has had the saw nuts and medallion replaced with ones from a Jennings?

It arrived smelling heavily of rancid pig fat, so either someone smeared it with lard or tallow or bacon or used it to butcher a hog.

It is toothed at ~4-1/2 TPI and is a bit pitted. It has something of "reverse breasting" (concave instead of convex). I'm guessing this is just a result of a number of sharpenings without jointing?

My plan was to just joint and keep it at 4-1/2 TPI and make a new handle.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2012, 11:46 AM
You might find some extra holes when it is taken apart.

My recollection is that Disston bought Jennings. You may have a saw that was made that way originally.

jtk

Jeff Wittrock
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
You might find some extra holes when it is taken apart.

My recollection is that Disston bought Jennings. You may have a saw that was made that way originally.

jtk

Thanks Jim.

I wasn't aware of that. Once I dis-assembled, there were not extra holes, but I did notice the holes seemed a bit oversized for the saw nuts. Not sure if this is typical or not or just from the nuts moving around in the holes during lots of use.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2012, 1:20 PM
Not sure if this is typical or not or just from the nuts moving around in the holes during lots of use.

A careful examination of the holes might indicate out of round or maybe some burrs around the edges of the holes to answer your question on this.

jtk