PDA

View Full Version : Bypass closet door hardware

joe milana
08-30-2012, 9:43 AM
Can someone recommend a source for something higher quality than what is available at the BORG for $15? (If such a product exists) Thanks!

John Lanciani
08-30-2012, 9:53 AM
Look here; http://www.johnsonhardware.com/sdindex.htm Any decent lumberyard should carry or be able to get them.

joe milana
08-30-2012, 9:59 AM
Wow, strong enough for a #400 door! That should do it ;) Thanks!

Bill Edwards(2)
08-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Yep, that's what you want:

Sorry, best pic I could find. The doors are a pain, but the hardware is great.

Jamie Buxton
08-30-2012, 6:51 PM
Here's a pic of bypass doors hung on Johnson hardware. The doors are eight feet tall, and span almost nine feet. The door frame is solid sapele, 2" thick. The glazing is frosted 1/4" glass. (Don't ask me... interior designers!) Each door weighs over a hundred pounds.

I like the detail at the top. On most bypass door installations, there's a fascia board to conceal the top track. It always strikes me as being out of place. Here, the concealment is done with a piece of 1/2" plywood nailed to the face of the header. The drywall butts to it, and the rockers taped and textured it, so it just looks like a piece of wall. Voila, no visible fascia board.

Jamie Buxton
08-30-2012, 6:53 PM
Here's a pic of bypass doors hung on Johnson hardware. The doors are eight feet tall, and span almost nine feet. The door frame is solid sapele, 2" thick. The glazing is frosted 1/4" glass. (Don't ask me... interior designers!) Each door weighs over a hundred pounds.

I like the detail at the top. On most bypass door installations, there's a fascia board to conceal the top track. It always strikes me as being out of place. Here, the concealment is done with a piece of 1/2" plywood nailed to the face of the header. The drywall butts to it, and the rockers taped and textured it, so it just looks like a piece of wall. Voila, no visible fascia board.

joe milana
08-30-2012, 7:44 PM
Jamie, those look nice. Looks like they ride in a bottom track as well. I wonder if that makes for a toe stubber? Mine will be in a 1940's home, so more of a traditional style to match the existing woodwork, complete with the apron to conceal the hardware.

Jamie Buxton
08-30-2012, 8:45 PM
Jamie, those look nice. Looks like they ride in a bottom track as well. I wonder if that makes for a toe stubber? Mine will be in a 1940's home, so more of a traditional style to match the existing woodwork, complete with the apron to conceal the hardware.

The bottom track just prevents the doors from flapping in the breeze. The door weight hangs from the header. In this depth of closet, you generally don't step inside the closet, so there isn't a toe-stubbing issue. If you have a deeper closet (or even an entire room) behind the door, Johnson has hardware to recess the track into the floor.

CPeter James
08-30-2012, 9:21 PM
Johnson Hardware and order direct. They can ship track up to 16' in length, but only 8' by UPS. Get the ball bearing rollers. They only cost a little more. A real high quality product and great service. My local non borg lumber yards gave me a blank stare when I told them I wanted 8' tracks and heavy duty rollers, but ordering online was easy.

CPeter