PDA

View Full Version : Miter Station / Stand Plan suggestions?

Kevin Schlossberg
08-30-2012, 12:24 AM
I've got a Bosch 5412L miter that's been residing on a crappy HF stand for a couple of years. Needless to say the stand is not stable and the lack of support for long pieces is leading to uneven cuts. I'd like to build a rolling miter saw station from plans, but I'm having difficulty locating a decent plan that will suit my needs.

I have plenty of space in the shop to roll a cart around, and have googled through a variety of threads, but... I'm not sure. I downloaded the Ultimate Miter Saw Station from Woodworkers Journal and am a bit taken aback by the price tag attached to all the material needed. Sure, it looks gorgeous, but if I'm going to spend $500+, should I just buy a Rousseau?

I guess I'm looking for suggestions and / or feedback on what I should do or plans to look at. Thanks in advance for any assistance

Charles Lent
08-30-2012, 5:55 AM
Have you looked at the DeWalt miter saw/planer stand? You can get one for less than $200 from the orange borg and probably cheaper online. It has outrigger rollers and guides on both ends and folds into a hand truck shape for moving and can be stored standing on end with the saw still attached, so it only needs a few square feet of floor space when it's not being used. To use it you wheel it like a hand truck into position and lay it down, then release a latch and lift. Gas springs help with the lifting. It latches at two comfortable working heights. You can then extend the roller guides out both ends and lock them in place. To fold, you collapse the roller guides and then hold the handle at the end, release the latch and lift slightly to unlock it, and then lower it into it's folded position. Pick up the handle end and wheel it away. This is the most stable and versatile miter saw stand design that I've found on the market. The same basic design stand is also available from Delta (I have two Delta stands, one holds a DeWalt 735 planer), and from Porter Cable, but the Porter Cable version does not have roller guides. They have metal skids instead. You will not be able to build a stand that is as versatile or as light as these for anywhere close to the price.
I have no interest in these companies, I'm just a very satisfied user of their products.

Charley

Rich Noterman
08-30-2012, 9:33 AM
Check utube, down to earth woodworking is building a miter station with some nice ideas

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Either Woodsmith, or ShopNotes did one a while back. John White had one in FWW a few years back.

Bob Faris
09-08-2012, 7:38 PM
What features are you looking for in a stand? Have you seen this one?

http://woodworkerswebsite.com/Miterstand.html

Alan Bienlein
09-08-2012, 10:59 PM
How about something like this.http://www.instructables.com/id/Combo-Miter-Saw-Station-Lumber-Rack/

Larry Whitlow
09-09-2012, 1:04 AM
Shop Notes, Volume 6; issue 31 (from Jan 1997). It is very similar to the one with the folding wings shown in the woodworkers website link. I built the shopnotes version and have been very happy. Google "shopnotes miter saw stand" and click on images. You will see several examples.