PDA

View Full Version : Machined and balanced arbor pulley for Grizzly G1023Z?

David Kuzdrall
08-29-2012, 9:00 PM
I have now been through 2 arbors, 2 pulleys and three sets of bearings trying to reduce the vibration on my g1023z saw. I am certain that it is not the motor and the belts are only a year old but perhaps could benefit from bing changed to a link type but the main issue ussue is that with the belts and blade off, the arbor stops at the same point each time indicating a balance issue.

The arbor pulley from grizzly is cast and I suspect this has an impact on performance. Are there any suppliers of machined pulleys for this saw?

Thx

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2012, 9:46 PM
David, loosen motor so you can "clock" belts. Leave one as it is, advance another about half way and retard the third the same amount.

Jerry Bruette
08-29-2012, 9:49 PM
I would think that MSC, Grainger, or McMaster-Carr would have a pulley for your saw.

Jerry

Curt Harms
08-30-2012, 6:29 AM
I wonder how faithfully the G1023 knocked off the Unisaw? If the shaft diameter were the same there are suppliers of Unisaw replacement parts.

Larry Edgerton
08-30-2012, 7:02 AM
Browning. Available at Graingers or McMaster Carr.

I replace the shivs on my site saws with them as soon as I buy them, big difference in vibration. I use belts made for machinery, the same as what comes on my SCMI stuff, but the name excapes me right now.

Larry

david brum
08-30-2012, 9:27 AM
I can't comment from personal experience, but Grizzly sells a US made, machined pulley (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5523) for the 1023 which looks pretty good. The fact that they carry them perhaps indicates that you're not the first guy to have this problem?

If you upgrade, please keep us posted. I have one of those saws which runs fine, but would always be interested in better performance.

David Kuzdrall
08-30-2012, 8:16 PM
Thanks folks. Grizzly customer service actually picked up this thread today and gave me a call...now that is world class service in my opinion.

There may be a solution in the works regarding the arbor assembly. I will post results when I have them.

Thx

Don Jarvie
08-30-2012, 9:18 PM
I was going to suggest checking the arbor to see if it's turning true. If you take off the pull and put a dial indicator on the shaft it should spin with out moving the indicator. After that check the arbor flange to see if it's flat all around. If they are both ok then the pulleys would be checked to see if the problem lies there. Let us know what goes on.

David Kuzdrall
09-09-2012, 9:05 PM
I talked to grizzly and they were concerned that the whole arbor was off and sold me a new one, this fixed the issue and now the only vibration is from the belts which is mild at best. Looks like the arbor was oversized, on top of the shaft perhaps being undersized...receipe for vibration!

Thx

Don Jarvie
09-10-2012, 1:20 PM
Make sure the the 2 arbors are even with each other so the belts are straight. It may go away once the belts are broken in.

John Lanciani
09-10-2012, 3:00 PM
It sure was nice of them to sell you replacement parts for the defective parts that they already sold to you.:confused:

Jim Andrew
09-10-2012, 9:38 PM
From what I read, assuming this was a used saw you purchased. The warranty is only for one year.

David Kuzdrall
09-10-2012, 9:52 PM
Warranty is only one year but I am the only owner of this saw.