PDA

View Full Version : Show us yours!

Peter Blair
08-29-2012, 7:12 PM
When I started thinking about posting this thread I felt that I really wanted to try to share the real meaning of wood turning with anyone who just might be interested, and of course encourage all the rest of you to share as well.

With that in mind. I just have to say that I have strong feelings about the 'human interest' aspect of my favourite pastime. I don't think anyone needs to explain just how a turning effects them but to make or hold something beautiful made from a 'chunk' of wood seems to have a real significance to all of us.

At the start I thought it wouldn't be too hard to select just one photo but I have so many great shots it was a lot more difficult than I had imagined.

So . . . here's the challenge.

Post one or a maximum of two photos relating to the vortex that mean the most to you and if possible that include some 'human interest', with a brief description of what we are seeing. If there is a better medium to share these photo's and someone wants to guide us there please do!

For a start here are mine, please excuse the quality:

The first is Tyler my middle grandson holding a piece that he studied as it turned and begged me to take a photo of him holding it.

Second is my son-in-law Bob (I know, no face shield but I'm working on that) turning his first bowl and who now is being sucked into the Vortex.

Curt Fuller
08-29-2012, 8:43 PM
Peter, I don't have anything to show, but I feel much the same way about the human interest aspect of wood. I found this quotation on Don McIvor's website (which is well worth checking out), it's a quote from a interesting book by Eric Sloane.

One of the remarkable things about wood is its self expression. Whether as a handle of a tool, as a dead stump, or alive in a forest where every branch is a record of the winds that blew, it is always telling something about itself. That is why man has an affinity with wood not only as a mere material, but also as a kindred spirit to live with and to know.
--Eric Sloane, A Reverence for Wood

Jim Burr
08-30-2012, 12:12 AM
I'll tell you both that the evolution of how we look at wood changes over time...but I really don't care how a piece of rubber looks, all though my truck would be usless without it. That opinion hasn't changed in 35 years. I remember thinking that Yellow heart made an amazing pen...10 years ago! A piece of punky wood was a treasure! Now...and I don't think it's just me, it's all about figure, color, curl...eyes, so on. But...the wow factor increases by about a billion when you look at a piece of high figure BLM or Black elm burl vs a block of purple heart!
I can't show anything yet...out of town at work

kevin nee
08-30-2012, 7:45 AM
I gave a niece a natural edge cherry burl bowl. She displayed it on her desk at work.
A co-worker could not take her hands off of it, so she gave it to her. She called and asked
if I was upset and could she get another one. I sent her two another to give away and
one to keep. "YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTIL YOU GIVE A GIFT OF A BURL BOWL"

Tim Rinehart
08-30-2012, 8:23 AM
Peter, this thread will evoke alot of emotions for most folks out there. I think the best parts of this for me has been the opportunity to give back, like the pieces in this picture.
240217There was a gentleman, a grandfather, who originally planted more than 100 trees and plants producing apples, pears, plums, grapes, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries for the last 15 years.The church needed to clear the area for new facility going in, and one of our local turners caught wind of it. We went to the orchard before it was cleared, harvested out some nice sections and each made several pieces for the family to have a lasting memory. We presented it to them at a special club meeting, and tears filled their eyes. Very touching.
Beyond that, I think about the demos we do at festivals and how little kids eyes light up when their top is being made, when a colored marker hits the spinning top and the smiles start growing.
Better yet, is when we're able to give back to groups like Beads of Courage to help brighten otherwise gloomy perspectives on hard times some kids and others go through. I'm anxious to get started on a couple items for them over the next few weeks.
Other memorable times for me include a large NE oak bowl for my sister's family from 100 yr old oak they lost, making a wedding goblet for my niece, helping my young nephews each make a bowl.
But I'll tell you...the camaraderie of this group is strong and it's like a big family. It's always enjoyable hearing about folks that meet up, and I've had the extreme pleasure of meeting alot of folks on the forums as well as having a big network locally that I consider my friends.

Russell Eaton
08-30-2012, 8:46 AM
I tend to agree with Tim. I sell few items, but have no problem making a piece or 2 for charity. This picture is a piece that I was asked to make for a hospice non-profit for the people with little time left. The idea is they can put some of their prize belongings in the box. This was made for a young man that has the mental capacity of a 2-4 year old. I had a friend laser the scene on it and was told by the Dr. that all the nurses cried when they saw it. I guess it is all about giving back. Thanks for this thread. Russell