PDA

View Full Version : Laser vector cutting question

Kieran Mannings
08-29-2012, 2:52 PM
Hi guys,

We are currently cutting out some shapes from
Acrylic on our trotec speedy 100. When cutting rather than following the shape of design ( like one would when drawing a shape by pen) the machine cuts random corners untill all is joined, for example with a rectangle it would cut top line bottom line then the two sides rather than cutting all in one motion in order. I was wondering the best way to achieve the shapes being cut in one motion, I'm unsure if it is a setting with in job control (latest version) or illustrator (Cs5) Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark Sipes
08-29-2012, 3:01 PM
I would say the nodes which connect the line segments are not (+) connected. not sure in Illustrator how to fix that but there is away.. It's not the Job Control software.

Mike Null
08-29-2012, 5:00 PM
Kieran

The problem is likely with the drawing. Why don't you post it here and we'll see if we can help.

Kieran Mannings
08-29-2012, 5:11 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I think as you say it is a problem with the shape in Illustrator, I have joined the shape so that it should all be one line but there still seems to be anchor points, I have attached one of the shapes any help would be great.240178240178240178

Tony Lenkic
08-29-2012, 6:56 PM
Most members here work with Corel.
Can you save/export that file as PDF for non AI users to view?

Joseph Szegda
08-29-2012, 7:00 PM
Hi: Looked at your shape and it need to be Optimize.
Shape order jumps all other
Joe

Mark Sipes
08-29-2012, 8:06 PM
Try to select entire object and the select "object" "compound path" "make" see if that works.. I tried but my laser is set up for corel .

Lee DeRaud
08-29-2012, 8:32 PM
Most members here work with Corel.
Can you save/export that file as PDF for non AI users to view?Corel will import AI (with random degrees of success), at least as of X4. Whether or not the order of nodes etc survives the translation is another matter....but that would also be true going through PDF.

Mark Sipes
08-29-2012, 9:37 PM
had no problem importing the ai file in x6... connecting all the nodes and running on my laser. cut image as one single line with no breaks..

Tony Lenkic
08-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Lee, this AI file my X3 can't import or open (Message: file corrupted).
If OP had it saved as EPS or some other format maybe more people could land a helping hand.

Mike Null
08-30-2012, 5:46 AM
Try this. Connected curves in X5.

Tony Lenkic
08-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Mike thanks for posting PDF file.

Kieran,this is simple to get one continuous laser movement with "smart fill tool" in Corel.
Making sure shape is closed, applying smart fill tool in Corel will get you desired result in couple of click.
Don't know if that can be done in AI but anyone with X3 or higher could get you file ready quickly in many vector file formats (EPS, WMF, SVG, PDF).

Doug Griffith
08-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I opened it in Illustrator and it looks fine. All nodes are connected. Could it be that this file is being exported as a DXF?

Mike Null
08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
When I opened it in X5 the lines were not connected.

Doug Griffith
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I opened it in Illustrator and it looks fine. All nodes are connected. Could it be that this file is being exported as a DXF?

Whoops. Looking at it again, Mike is correct, they are not connected.

In Illustrator they are a compound path. It looks like it was built that way or imported from a CAD program such as Autocad.

Kieran Mannings
08-31-2012, 7:45 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help, I have got this working, I opened in Corel and used the shape tool and went round joing all the nodes, I can see from the replies that there is an easier way and will be sure to use that in the future thanks for all the help, I would have been clueless where the problem was without the help!

All the best

Kieran

Mike Null
08-31-2012, 8:49 AM
Kieran

Sorry, I should have been more specific as to how this was done. I opened the AI file using the CorelDraw AI import filter. Then I selected the drawing and under the arrange menu selected "join curves" that brings up a window as shown and you can select your parameters. I used .05". Selected "apply" and it was finished.