PDA

View Full Version : Something different -- Chinese Balls

Bill Bulloch
08-29-2012, 2:38 PM
Trying something new. This is a two-level Chinese Ball made from Hard Rock Sugar Maple. Talk about something hard to do. I started out by making 12 spheres 2 1/2 inches in diameter, then tried turning one level balls. I was only successful 4 out of the 12 tries. With the last three of these being successful, I moved up to the two level balls. I made six spheres 2 1/2 inches in diamter. The first three exploded, was successful on the forth and I thought I was on to something. The next two exploded. I made some new spheres, made some corrections to my approach and tried again. I completed two in a row. Here is one of them.

What ya think?

Robert Henrickson
08-29-2012, 2:50 PM
Great job, and remarkable persistence. It looks well worth the effort.

Tim Rinehart
08-29-2012, 2:51 PM
Nice job Bill. I've always thought this would be a fun technical thing to do...now I just think it may be a technical thing to do!
Can I assume you have the Springett tool set and instructions, or was this free hand, so to speak?

Scott Hackler
08-29-2012, 2:56 PM
Nice! I held off picking up a set of the tools to do these. Sounds like I would have threw them in a drawer shortly after trying them!

Now that you've got that down, you can start including a star coming out of the holes!

Roger Chandler
08-29-2012, 3:16 PM
Mind boggling, Bill! It has to be said you have persistence! It always pays off........I don't have the time for that kind of challenge!

Bill Bulloch
08-29-2012, 3:42 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Hackler;1974119]Nice! I held off picking up a set of the tools to do these. Sounds like I would have threw them in a drawer shortly after trying them!

QUOTE]

If you give up easy -- then this is probably not for you. Fred Holder, who has made over 200 of the five-level balls, says that you can expecte a 30 to 50% failure rate. I think mine is over that so far.

If you get frustrated easy -- then this is probably not for you. The wood is at its weakest on the last three holes because you have removed most of the supporting wood. This is when most of my failures occured. Think of how frustrated I must have been after spending two or more hours getting to the 12th and last hole only to have it exploded on me.

If you don't have a good supply of good dry wood -- then this is probably not for you. All wood are not suited for this sort of thing. You will need dry, tight grain wood and plenty of it, if you have the same success that I have had. The only wood that has worked for me so far has been Cherry and Sugar Maple.

If you can't turn a near perfect sphere -- then this is probably not for you. The tool is geared for a 2 1/2 inch sphere and it has to be near perfect as the tool follows the curvature of the ball. It will not work if the sphere is our of round.

Rick Markham
08-29-2012, 3:57 PM
Bill, is it Fred that altered the shape of the cutter head? I've contemplated this endeavor for quite awhile, there's at least one article I remember reading (I don't remember if Fred wrote it or not) where a tiny change in shape of the cutter increased his survival rate. My hat is off to you sir, I haven't gathered "the balls" to try it. :D I'm not easily frustrated, but I hesitate as this might be the sort of task that changes that. Plus they are round and easily thrown (unless they blow up, then there isn't much to throw)

Bill Bulloch
08-29-2012, 4:06 PM
Bill, is it Fred that altered the shape of the cutter head? I've contemplated this endeavor for quite awhile, there's at least one article I remember reading (I don't remember if Fred wrote it or not) where a tiny change in shape of the cutter increased his survival rate. My hat is off to you sir, I haven't gathered "the balls" to try it. :D I'm not easily frustrated, but I hesitate as this might be the sort of task that changes that. Plus they are round and easily thrown (unless they blow up, then there isn't much to throw)

Yes, Fred sharpened the cutters of a point. They will not get thrown per se, as they have to be mounted in a himisphere Chuck that you make.

Russell Eaton
08-29-2012, 4:56 PM
Very cool Bill. I need to order some patients before giving that a try. Great job and keep them coming.

Rick Markham
08-29-2012, 5:20 PM
Bill, I meant me throwing them out of frustration (not being thrown inadvertantly from the lathe) ;)