PDA

View Full Version : A very unusual 11 year old

george wilson
08-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Yesterday we had a mother and her 11 year old daughter visit us. I took her out to the shop to teach her to make something. She wanted to make a sawn out rabbit mounted on a wooden base.

O.K.,I thought I'd have to draw the rabbit,but no,she did a fine job of making the drawing. Then,to the bandsaw. Another youngster I tried to teach(older than she) was totally frightened by the noise the blade made cutting the wood. Not this one! After safety instructions,I thought I'd have to saw it out for her. Not so! I have tried to teach adults to saw curves,and they went all over the place!! This one sawed quite accurately,with just a few corrections,and instructions of "nibbling" in tight places,and how to correct smallish problems by carefully using the set of the blade's teeth to smooth out a lump or 2.

Then,I showed her how to pick out drills to install screws to attach it to the base.

I need an apprentice and hope her mother and she visit frequently. Both are very "turned on",and got very excited when shown something nice. Most just glaze over it and "don't get it".Her mother knew the botanical names of most of my woods!! She is not a wood worker,either. Just 2 very smart people!!

I taught shop for 6 years in the beginning of my working career,and have much experience teaching young people. This one is VERY exceptional. She's quickly learning piano,too.

Dave Anderson NH
08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Kudos George. Our wonderful obsession will die unless all of us help bring the younger generations along. Ya done good!!

Kevin Grady
08-29-2012, 11:46 AM
That's fantastic. My 7 year old son's eagerness to learn/build is already outpacing my skills. Keeps me honest and pushes me to do more. Just hope his interest stays as he gets older.

Zach Dillinger
08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Lucky you, to have such a talented young person find you. Hopefully she maintains that interest.

Passing on what I've learned (and my tools) is the only thing that makes me even consider having children.

Mel Fulks
08-29-2012, 12:04 PM
A nice thing to read. I see a possible CINEMA PARADISO type story unfolding.

Shawn Pixley
08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Great story. I shows that if we provide opportunities, peole can rise to the occasion. An intellectually curious mind is unbounded.

george wilson
08-29-2012, 12:19 PM
This mother and daughter first visited us about 6 or 7 years ago. I was impressed with the child because she wasn't a bit afraid of me as a stranger,and she sat on my lap and ate candy!! Then,they moved away,and now are back. Air Force family. I hope they stay.

If anything,she was LESS afraid of the bandsaw than she should have been,and picked away a bit of wood close to the blade. I had to teach her to use a left over stick to do this!! I also told her that the bandsaw is the fastest cutting saw in the shop,and I knew a guy who had more than half his fingers cut off on a bandsaw. Not to frighten her,but to instruct in respect for machinery.

Various stories were told by this man as to how he did cut his fingers off. The one he told me was he fell down,and in grabbing for support,grabbed the blade.

I have to add,that,sadly,I have seen quite a number of "professionals" who could not follow a curved line as well as this first time user. By professionals I mean those who made a living by woodworking(not skill level).

Bill White
08-29-2012, 1:37 PM
You're one lucky feller.
I have a grandson who asks about shop time with each visit. I've started his own tool box for his use.
Bill

Klaus Kretschmar
08-29-2012, 3:51 PM
Great story, George. Often it needs just an initial experience for a kid to awake it's interest in something. Hopefully this obviously talented girl has found that the woodworking is a fascinating thing to her. That would be a win/win situation since she couldn't dream to get a better teacher and you will benefit enormous finding an apprentice that is willing to learn and -if things get perfectly- to continue some of your work. Crossing my fingers!

Klaus

Don Orr
08-29-2012, 4:11 PM
Great story indeed. Good for her-and you. The world needs someone to carry on your knowledge George. I hope you both enjoy a long and productive apprenticeship. She sounds like a natural.

george wilson
08-29-2012, 5:11 PM
She is actually most interested in metal working. She can study with me or with my wife who has a jewelry making business. I taught my wife metal working,too.

Todd Burch
08-29-2012, 6:10 PM
Give her a challenge next time she comes in. ;)

Rodney Walker
08-29-2012, 7:38 PM
Very awesome! I hope she becomes a regular in your shop.
Rodney

Chris Scimone
08-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Wow - never thought I would say it, but I am officially jealous of an 11 year old girl. Natural talent, youth & shoptime with George Wilson? Thats the stuff dreams are made of.

Seriously, congrats to both of you, and thanks for all the wisdom you've shared with us here. I've enjoyed and learned from all of your posts.

Best of luck on your mentoring friendship,

Chris

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-30-2012, 7:25 AM
That's terrific to hear, and good on you, George for helping to foster her skills.

george wilson
08-30-2012, 8:30 AM
I hope to teach her on a regular basis,but frequently talented children like her are enrolled by their mothers in all sorts of different activities by their mothers. Music,dancing,etc.. I know another mother whose daughter gets no rest it seems. The daughter really gets pushed,too hard,I think. Kids need time to be kids,too.

Anyway,I hope to teach her as does my wife. Young people help keep us oldies young,and that's the truth. Both her mother and the child realize that she could benefit a lot from what I have to offer. I don't advocate a vocation,but learning tool skills is greatly beneficial. Doing wood or metal working for a living is not an easy row to hoe. I was lucky to have a museum to sponsor me. Otherwise,you are working like crazy to appeal to only a very limited segment of customers that you'd be lucky to come across,which I have also done through public exposure at the museum. Most people can't tell the difference between good,custom work,and Chinese imports,or mass produced things.

If I showed this child a new made wood screw,and an old new stock 1950's wood screw,she'd see and appreciate the milled slot,sharp edges of the flat head,and superior quality of the threads. How many would care?

Robert Thomas
09-02-2012, 9:17 AM
At a gas station the other day a girl about 11 asked her dad. " Why do they call it gas if it's a liquid ?" He said "They just do". She said "Well what about plasma"? Not understanding He said "Don't be silly that's in blood ante it"?
I just had to be impressed with the girl.

Carl Beckett
09-03-2012, 8:44 AM
Kids keep us young, and keep us learning (and sometimes learning things AGAIN - or should I say often). Such as 5th grade history, or high school math homework. My son last night was asking about why his fingers wrinkled in the bath tub and I explained osmosis and such. He got it and is wanting to try soaking them is salt water or the ocean now to see if they will wrinkle.

George, you will enjoy the sponge that these young minds are. And it will keep you engaged, and you may even end up with some of your own homework before its all said and done (a good thing). Its great that you are willing, and enjoy spending the time.