PDA

View Full Version : table saw fence

Karl Card
08-29-2012, 5:11 AM
I need feedback from people that have either owned or used the shopfox G9220 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Classic-Fence-w-7-Rails-Legs/G9220) or the biesemer bc50 fence system. I am going to have to buy a fence next month for my delta rockwell 12/14 inch table saw and right now money is tight but I am looking for input to see if the ~100 dollar difference is worth 100 bucks.

I have adjusted the fence that came with this saw, which is the original, and I just cant get it adjusted so that the lock down will work properly. If I get it to lock down then I cant move the fence, if I get it loose enough to move then it wont lock down. go figure.

any help appreciated.
so far I have looked at the shopfox, bc50 and the vega pro 50L.

scott spencer
08-29-2012, 6:56 AM
Karl - I've actually owned the Biesemeyer 30", Vega Utility 26, and the Shop Fox Classic....all 3 are really nice fences that I could definitely live with. At even money my preference is for the Biese, but at market prices with my current budget, I'd lean toward Vega Pro 50 (http://www.amazon.com/Vega-PRO-50-Table-System/dp/B000022622/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1346237470&sr=1-1&keywords=vega+fence) @ $265 shipped, which saves even more.

Functionally, the Shop Fox Classic is the same as the Biese....in use it works as well, though my Biese had a better fit and finish, and I preferred the laminated faces to the UHMW plastic faces....not a $100 difference IMO if the budget is tight.

The Vega has a nice microadjust feature that works great....the design is a little different from the Biese, but it works very well.

Cary Falk
08-29-2012, 7:00 AM
I have owned several Shop Fox Classic fences. I never have had a problem with any of them. I have never used the Biesemeyer, but based on my experience with the Shop Fox I don't think it is worth the extra $100. I guess I have one complaint about the Shop Fox. The magnified cursor is horrible. I have seen where other people have used the one off the Biesemeyer. I made my own.

Lex Boegen
08-29-2012, 7:13 AM
You might want to check out Allan Little's (Askwoodman.com) new business venture, VerySuperCooltools.com (http://www.verysupercooltools.com/). His first product to market is a Bisemeyer-type fence, made from welded steel and with a unique aluminum extrusion fence. It's based on a series of videos he made on YouTube showing how to make a Bisemeyer-type fence. I have no affiliation with him, other than subscribing to his YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/askwoodman).

Keith Hankins
08-29-2012, 9:15 AM
While not called the shop fox at the time it's the same. I have that fence on my 1023slx from griz and she's going on 8 years old (hard to believe). Never had to adjust it once I zero'd it in . It's a bessy clone works fine.

Jeff Duncan
08-29-2012, 9:27 AM
I have a couple Beis fences and they really do work well. I have not tried the Shop Fox, but have an extra Jet Exacta fence which was supposed to be decent....but is really just a crappy copy. If possible I'd see if there are any Creekers local to you that'll let you test it for yourself!

good luck,
JeffD

scott spencer
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Jeff - The Jet Xacta II is an improvement on the original Xacta fence, and is a nice fence. It's the same as the HTC and the PM Accufence. I still prefer the laminated faces on the Biese, but my Xacta II is otherwise pretty comparable IMO.

Test driving another Creeker's fence is an excellent idea!

Bill White
08-29-2012, 10:59 AM
My 0444Z TS has the Shop Fox Classic. I'm very well pleased with the fence.
Bill

Troy Turner
08-29-2012, 11:05 AM
...so far I have looked at the shopfox, bc50 and the vega pro 50L.

So the Vega is out of the question? Was it priced higher than the other two? Just curious because I've got one on my 80's Craftsman saw and love it.

Geoff Barry
08-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I had a shop fox classic fence for several years, and then I got a 22124 that came with a bc30. Both are good fences, but I liked the shop fox better. It was heavier, and I preferred the slippery UHMW plastic faces to the laminated faces, but it's just a personal preference - the bc30 is a great fence, too.

J.R. Rutter
08-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I've had Biesemeyer and Shop Fox. I liked the Bies better. Better fit and finish, better cursor, flatter fence plates.

David Kumm
08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I have the newer version Bies on my 12-14. I chose it because the rails can be moved right and left rather than bolted since they are attached to T slots. I wanted ample left side capability since the saw is right tilt and the new version accomplishes that more easily. I find I use the left side a lot now. Dave

Karl Card
08-29-2012, 2:16 PM
So the Vega is out of the question? Was it priced higher than the other two? Just curious because I've got one on my 80's Craftsman saw and love it.

The Vega pro 50L I could not find info on when I googled it. All I could find was the vega pro 50. Not exactly sure what the difference is though.

When I did a search for fences on google I dont remember the other fences mentioned showing up in a google search so I will research them too and see what happens.
Something else I am finding out though is that I think grizzly had the shop fox for 299 but had shipping extra but on the beis it was ~419 but no shipping. So that is what I am watching out for too.
One last request, if anyone knows a site where any of the mentioned fences are much better prices than normal, let me know.

Thanks alot for the info..

Matt Day
08-29-2012, 4:20 PM
Karl - I've actually owned the Biesemeyer 30", Vega Utility 26, and the Shop Fox Classic....all 3 are really nice fences that I could definitely live with. At even money my preference is for the Biese, but at market prices with my current budget, I'd lean toward Vega Pro 50 (http://www.amazon.com/Vega-PRO-50-Table-System/dp/B000022622/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1346237470&sr=1-1&keywords=vega+fence) @ $265 shipped, which saves even more.

+1 When I was buying a fence years ago I was in the same position and went with a Vego (U50 IIRC) and liked it a lot. Saved me some cash and it worked great.

scott spencer
08-29-2012, 5:02 PM
The Vega pro 50L I could not find info on when I googled it. All I could find was the vega pro 50. Not exactly sure what the difference is though.

When I did a search for fences on google I dont remember the other fences mentioned showing up in a google search so I will research them too and see what happens.
Something else I am finding out though is that I think grizzly had the shop fox for 299 but had shipping extra but on the beis it was ~419 but no shipping. So that is what I am watching out for too.
One last request, if anyone knows a site where any of the mentioned fences are much better prices than normal, let me know.

Thanks alot for the info..

From Vega's website (http://www.vegawoodworking.com/):
~MODEL PRO 26, PRO 40, and PRO 50
"The Professional Model features the ruggedness and durability for Commercial production requirement, yet is extremely refined for the serious woodworker's needs and wants. With larger components and greater rigidity, the Professional Model is designed for 10 - 12" Saws cutting heavier materials and commercial use. The Vega retrofit Saw Fence System is available with 26", 40" or 50" rip capacity to the right of the blade and 10" to the left, with a standard fence length of 42" on models PRO 26, PRO 40, and PRO 50. For saw tables between 34 and 42 inches deep, the PRO 26L, PRO 40L, AND PRO 50L ARE available featuring a 50" fence bar."

It looks like the length of the fence tube is the difference, not rip capacity.

Troy Turner
08-29-2012, 9:37 PM
As Scott posted, it's a matter of how long of a fence bar you need. May have to call or email Vega directly and see what they're charging for the "L" models. Amazon has some really good prices on the PRO and Utility versions right now though.
Not to mention they're made in the USA.

Karl Card
08-29-2012, 11:44 PM
It seems that the vega pro 50 has been getting really good reviews, I also realized that I did not need the 50L, I just need the pro 50. I think the decision is done unless a super sale comes up..

Thanks for all the information..

Clint Olver
08-30-2012, 12:39 AM
I have owned several Shop Fox Classic fences. I never have had a problem with any of them. I have never used the Biesemeyer, but based on my experience with the Shop Fox I don't think it is worth the extra $100. I guess I have one complaint about the Shop Fox. The magnified cursor is horrible. I have seen where other people have used the one off the Biesemeyer. I made my own.

.... me too.

C

Dave Cav
08-31-2012, 1:17 AM

And I'm one of them.

I have a Shop Fox Classic (with replaced cursor) on my PM 65, and an oversized, and probably no longer available, Biesemeyer on my 12/14. They're functionally identical and I'm happy with the Shop Fox.

Karl Card
08-31-2012, 6:44 PM
Well I just got off the phone with Randy at Vega. Man I tell you that place is the definition of great customer service.
I will look to Vega first from now on and if I cant get it there then I will go somewhere else.
I am ending up getting the vega pro 50 L. My table is 38 x 48 on my saw and one retail place had me believing the vega pro 50 would fit my saw... Well it wont.. So around september 10 or 12th I will be ording the pro 50 L. Will let you all know how it works out.

Mike Heidrick
08-31-2012, 6:55 PM
Vega is 42 miles from here. Its a huge place with about 6-8 people working there these days. A symbol of an awesome place in the 70s and now mostly the crazy machines sit unused. Lathes, duplicators, fences, and edge sanders are their bread and butter these days. I toured it a couple years ago. Amazing place.

I now own a Vega edge sander after that tour (and a deal from Richard in Mi ;) ).

Link to pictures of the Vega tour:
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Vega%20Enterprises/

Troy Turner
08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Karl - Glad Randy was able to help you get what you need! I can guarantee you you will not be disappointed. When I was searching for a fence, Vega seemed to be the unsung hero. Not a lot of reviews, but folks that have them swear by them. Their micro adjust is an awesome little feature too.

Enjoy!!!