PDA

View Full Version : BLM Burl vase

David Reed
08-29-2012, 1:24 AM
It seem like forever since I have posted any turnings or even posted comments on the Creek. All the usual excuses shall apply here....................
Any way, I finally got around to finishing up this BLM Burl vase I started perhaps two years ago (or more). At about 12" tall and 6" diameter with 3/16" thick walls, I had a bit of chatter with the monster near the bottom. Actually a lot of chatter. That and the narrow base encouraged me to leave a bit of mass in the bottom 1/2-3/4". Thought long about relieving the base to give it some lift, and it likely would look a bit better but with such a narrow base, it is unstable enough so I left the bottom flat. Finished with several coats (lost count) of WTF - really love it.
My first attempt at some extremely basic carving at the top. Just pretty reluctant to take a sharp chisel to an otherwise perfectly good, and otherwise finished piece. Just like dyes - I had planned to use some dye on this piece as well as a few of the most recent pieces in the past few months but chickened out at the last minute. Actually with this one, I have a better excuse. Senior moment. I applied some of the WTF too soon as I had forgotten about the dye plan.
By the way, I am currently making a longer boring bar of 1" for the Monster. We'll see how things work out with that.
Critiques please.

Ciao
David

Jim Burr
08-29-2012, 2:04 PM
I like that little collar!! Amazing wood and a cool form...the finish really makes it fantastic...great job David!

David Reed
08-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks Jim. BLM is one of my, if not the favorite wood. The 'collar' is integral, but guess it still is a collar. I really struggled with this very simple form and generally am pleased with outcome. The base is smaller than it appears in the pics and it may have benefitted from a little tuck at the foot but too late now.

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2012, 12:09 AM
That is a great looking piece. Love the form and color.