PDA

View Full Version : The Beauty Has Landed

Alan Trout
08-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Well,

After a long wait I picked up my Robust American Beauty at the SWAT symposium. I have to thank Bill Blasic, Joe Herman, Eugene Soto, and my neighbor Luis who helped me take it out of the truck. We essentially removed it by hand from the truck and without the help it could not have been done.

I also need to thank Brent and Deb English for building a great machine and providing exceptional communication and service through the entire purchase process. They were are real pleasure doing business with and can recommend Robust to everyone.

Most of all I need to thank my wife for putting up with all of my craziness and my wants and desires. Not many women could put up with me and she has done it for over 19 years with barely a peep about my tools. She is a great lady.

I finally got a chance to set it up properly this evening. The fit and finish on the lathe are exceptional and it is smooth as glass. I have not had much of a chance to do much turning on it but what I have done it performs very well. I am still working out the details of how I want to place lighting on the lathe and some other accessories but it will more than fill my current and future needs for a lathe.

Here is a couple of pics out of my point and shoot camera. It is quite the beast in the long bed version.

Now if my day job will ever let up a bit so I can get some use out of it.

Alan

Roger Chandler
08-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Now that is a nice piece of equipment! How much distance between centers? Is it 3 hp? Likely the last lathe you will ever need...............not that you might not want another one! :eek::D

Alan Trout
08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Its 52" without the Tilt Away I would guess add about 6" or so more if needed with the tilt away. Yes it has the 3HP motor and it is a beast. Leeson made their 3HP motors bigger and this thing is huge compared to the older 3HP motor. Brent said it is a more efficient motor. I also got the foot kill switch which will be nice for hollowing when both hands are busy.

Alan

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Congrats Alan! Quite the Beauty! Just color me green :D!

Scott Hackler
08-29-2012, 12:21 AM
I can vouch for the fact that it's a whopper of a lathe! Frankly I thought the S-10's front tires might lift off the ground, but it all went well during the loading! A big congrats for you Alan. Someday I will have one too!

Jeffrey J Smith
08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
+1 for the Robust team being great to work with. Alan, you're going to love that thing. I picked mine up at the AAW in San Jose, and the grin hasn't left my face since...it's a fabulous piece of equipment. Enjoy.

Rick Markham
08-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Now THAT's a gloat! Sweet machine Alan!!! One day I will join the club :D

Kelvin Burton
08-29-2012, 12:51 AM
Scott, I thought your "chat" looked a little more serious than you admitted :-)
(

Josh Bowman
08-29-2012, 7:51 AM
Alan, that looks great, congrads. Now make it dirty! Look forward to seeing the fine turnings from it.

Tim Rinehart
08-29-2012, 8:05 AM
Sweet gloat Alan, I'm sure you'll put it to very good use!

Doug Herzberg
08-29-2012, 9:00 AM
That's a nice looking chunk of iron. Enjoy!

Alan Trout
08-29-2012, 9:04 AM
I can vouch for the fact that it's a whopper of a lathe! Frankly I thought the S-10's front tires might lift off the ground, but it all went well during the loading! A big congrats for you Alan. Someday I will have one too!

Believe it or not the truck road nicely down the road. I tried not to take it to fast. Just took it nice and easy and it got home safely. Thanks to you and Jim for your moral support.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Congrats Alan. Now that is a gloat.

Nate Davey
08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Wow Alan, congratulations. Great looking machine!

Baxter Smith
08-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Congrats Alan, thats a pretty piece of equipment! You may never stop smiling!

Russell Eaton
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Sweet gloat. The AB was on the short list of 2 when I got my 4224. I got a REAL good deal on it and could not pass it up. Congrats again and be safe, the 3hp makes a big difference.

charlie knighton
08-29-2012, 11:33 AM
congratulations, enjoy

Jim Burr
08-29-2012, 2:17 PM
Good thing you got pictures in a pristine state!! It's way to clean. gratz!!

Bob Bergstrom
08-29-2012, 2:57 PM
Now all you need is a way of doing casting in a 55 gal. drum. That is one sweet looking and capable machine. Let us know more about the new Leeson when you put some work to it.

Jim Adkins
08-29-2012, 3:58 PM
Alan....congrats on the Robust. Like Scott, I thought the front tires might lift off the concrete too.
Thank you for helping Scott & myself load-up my lathe. Made it 670 miles home just fine. It now
sits in my shop but not yet put together but maybe this weekend. Good to see you again, thanks.

Alan Trout
08-29-2012, 6:27 PM
Jim,

Be sure to post a picture of the lathe. Vicmarc's are my second favorite lathe and would like to see it in your shop:). I really appreciate all the moral support.

Alan

George Morris
08-29-2012, 8:44 PM
Congrats Alan ! Great lathe you will have a great time with this beauty!

Harry Robinette
08-29-2012, 9:27 PM
Alan
Nice gloat, Now lets see some curlys.

Doug W Swanson
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Nice gloat, Alan!

Glen Blanchard
08-30-2012, 11:23 AM
She is indeed a beaut, Alan. Enjoy !!

John Beaver
08-30-2012, 2:55 PM
Congrats Alan !!!!!!!!!!
Are you keeping the other 2 ?

Alan Trout
08-30-2012, 6:52 PM
Congrats Alan !!!!!!!!!!
Are you keeping the other 2 ?

John,

Yes I am one can never have to many lathes:). I plan to do a little teaching in my studio/shop so they will come in handy.

Thanks,

Alan

Luke Pighetti
08-30-2012, 7:02 PM
Should be pretty decent for turning some pens. :D

Joe McMahon
08-30-2012, 8:04 PM
Alan, beautiful Beasuty! AI was wondering about the light. Did it come with the lathe or did you add it on? Can I get more info or photos?

Thanks, Joe

Alan Trout
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Alan, beautiful Beasuty! AI was wondering about the light. Did it come with the lathe or did you add it on? Can I get more info or photos?

Thanks, Joe

Joe,

The light is mine. It is a moffat light with a magnetic base.

Thanks,

Alan

Richard Madden
08-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Alan....congrats on the Robust. Like Scott, I thought the front tires might lift off the concrete too.
Thank you for helping Scott & myself load-up my lathe. Made it 670 miles home just fine. It now
sits in my shop but not yet put together but maybe this weekend. Good to see you again, thanks.
Hey, Mr. Adkins...What's this about "my lathe". Maybe start another thread and give us some details. I think everyone would enjoy reading about it. I know I was green with envy when you told me!!!

Art German
08-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Alan you are going to enjoy that machine to no end I have had mine for about 6 months and cann't believe the difference between my ols jett 1542 evs2 and ths lathe.

Art

Jim Adkins
08-31-2012, 8:59 AM
Alan, glad you got it home and safely unloaded. Quite the machine and I'm sure it will do everything you ask it to do.

Rich Aldrich
08-31-2012, 9:59 PM
Nice lathe. Congrats.