PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Mesquite

Baxter Smith
08-28-2012, 8:47 PM
With the summer winding down, I thought I would take amoment to post a couple of pictures. Haven’t done much turning the last few months but here are a couplefinished ones.
Kathy was kind enough to bring some wood to San Jose and theseare the first two that have been finished.
The Chilean mesquite seems to be much thirstier than the Texas variety when it comes to soaking up walnut oil.
Both have seen some use and there will be plenty more! Thanks Kathy, they come with a lot of goodmemories!

charlie knighton
08-28-2012, 9:15 PM
very nice Baxter, good looking mesquite, thanks for showing the difference in the types of mesquite, how large is the one with the inner bowl? now to raid the refrigerator, not good this time of night.

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Those both look great Baxter! I love the rim on the salad bowl, and I see a face in the bottom (2 big eyes and an upturned nose :eek:). The chip n dip bowl also looks great. Looks like you got the inner bowl sized just right for a nice fit for the salsa bowl.
It's really cool to see them in use as they were meant to be, and very cool that you made the chip n dip bowl as an anniversary gift for Melody!
Happy Anniversary (belated though it may be) to you and Melody!

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Very nice Baxter. I love the wood.

Tim Rinehart
08-29-2012, 8:07 AM
Very nice pieces and even better seeing them being used!

Baxter Smith
08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the comments!
Charlie, the inside dimension of the inner bowl is 4.25". I didn't turn it to any particular dimension since I knew my wife would find something to fit. 10.25 x 2.25 overall. I am not sure about the differences in color on the mesquite. The piece you sent me from Texas didn't seem to soak up much AO at all. Kathy said what she almost always got was chilean mesquite. They both seemed a lot more open grained than your piece. It took many coats over a period of a month to get the small salad bowl to an even color. There was one spot in the bottom that always seemed to go back to a gray tone once dry. The chip and dip didn't take quite as many to get to and keep an even color.

Thanks again for the wood Kathy! Its pretty stuff. The chip and dip bowl was turned round and flat for at least a month before I figured out what to make that would be both different and useful.

Scott Hackler
08-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Very nice. After seeing your chip and dip bowl I am reminded that I wanted to turn one of those for our house!

Michelle Rich
08-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I like that dip bowl!

Jerry Rhoads
08-29-2012, 1:16 PM
Very nice work on both of them Baxter. Very good display of Mesquite
I have never had any mesquite larger than a pen blamkl (not much to look at when it is a pen.
Maybe at the sympopsium I go to I will get me some.

kevin nee
08-30-2012, 7:40 AM
I also like to see stuff in daily use

Baxter Smith
08-31-2012, 7:25 PM
Thanks for your positive comments. Something useful makes for a good souvener of a great trip!