PDA

View Full Version : problems running my Gravograph M40

Paul Williams from Nunavut
08-28-2012, 8:24 PM
Good evening. In the hopes that someone other than me has an M40 and has a lot more experience than I, here goes (and I apologize in advance if this is already covered).:confused:

We recently purchased a Gravograph M40, and were pleased with it. I did one set of trophy plates with it about two months ago, with absolutely no problems at all. (My first job on it):)

Now, I'm doing a small charm (approx. 20 mm circle), and I can't get it going; I'm not sure what steps I'm missing, cause its got to be me, not the software or the hardware.

Turning on the machine and engaging the software, and using the flat sticky plate, with my engravable in the upper corner, I'm trying to get the machine to engrave, but I keep coming up with x and y axis overflows (machining overflow x = 57.150mm; plate overflow x = 185.000mm, y+ = -55.000mm, y- = 55.000mm).

I've set the plate, move the led dot to the edge of the circle where I want the engraving to start, with 0.000 margins, I set the fixed origin (although it seems to adjust itself every time to the floating origin).

And if that's not enough, the few times I seem to get some progress, the machine readiness box tells me I have "Problem APF".

In the hopes that someone knows what steps I'm forgetting, I remain "sleepless in snow country".:o

What am I missing/doing wrong?

Mike Null
08-29-2012, 5:12 AM
I have a different machine and software but my method for engraving that piece would be to change my orientation from upper left to center and set "home" at the center of the disc, then send the job to the engraver.

Ross Moshinsky
08-29-2012, 7:29 AM
The problem is you have something (text or a shape) outside of the plate area which is why Gravostyle is saying overflow.

As Mike suggested, you should run the job in the vice and you shouldn't have to mess around with the origins. Simply make a page the size of your item (in this case 20mmx20mm) and measure your parameters. Setup your margins/limits. Type in your text. Run the job.

If this is a valuable item or something you don't supply, you might want to pass on the order or practice on scrap first. There is a strong chance you're going to screw up.

08-29-2012, 9:47 AM
Thank you both for the responses. I'll try centering it again (my first option) and try it again. It sounds like I may have hit the wrong buttons the first go round. Best wishes.

Mike Null
08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Paul

On my machine I have to change the orientation in the software to center from upper left.

08-29-2012, 4:05 PM
Thanks all. With the help of tech support, we figured out the problem. One of the buttons that should have been pressed was left unpressed (it was looking for the Automatic Plate Feeder, which doesn't exist on my machine). D'uh!!

Unfortunately for me, Mike, the owner's manual is a) digital, and b) not as clear as mud to use. Ah well. Problem solved anyway. Blessings, and thanks again.